1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My First Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SkyeAus, Nov 16, 2015.

1. SkyeAus

SkyeAus Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2015
    GERALDTON, WA
    Hi :D are the chicks supposed to sleep a lot at first? I just put them in the brooder this morning. Its 94 in there, is that temp okay?[​IMG]

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    Did they come in the mail? That's pretty stressful, and they will need to rest. Are they awake, eating, and drinking? If yes, see how they are tomorrow. Mary

3. SkyeAus

Oct 26, 2015
    GERALDTON, WA
    No they didn't come in the mail. They hatched yesterday afternoon in my incubator. They are trying to eat and are drinking

4. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Hatching is hard work. They don't need to eat or drink for the first couple of days - they are still being nourished by the remnants of the yolk sac. That's why hatcheries can ship them on hatch day and they (mostly) survive 3 days in the mail. If they aren't any livelier by tomorrow you can try giving them either some Nutri-drench (highly recommended) or a little sugar water. Keep us posted, please.

5. SkyeAus

Oct 26, 2015
    GERALDTON, WA
    They are starting to look a little happier, will keep you posted. Thanks for the advice :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by