My FIRST chicks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by astylishgirl, Apr 30, 2009.

1. astylishgirl

astylishgirl Animal Lover Supreme

Apr 27, 2009
    Beaumont, Texas
    Well, we just went down to our local feed store and bought 9 chicks. They came in today from Ideal. We got 5 Ameraucanas and 4 Dominques. My husband is building a brooder and in the meantime, I have them in a plastic box with my desk lamp and a saucer of water and a dish of food. They are all sleeping under the warm light right now and seem pretty happy!

We are on our way!

2. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    [​IMG]

Be sure you put some little stones or marbles in the water dish so they don't lay in it and drown OK ! Up above on the very top is a place to click "The Learning center '. Lots of info on taking care of your fuzzy butts ! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. astylishgirl

Apr 27, 2009
    Beaumont, Texas
    Do I need to put rocks even in the automatic ones that are about an inch deep? Yikes... glad you told me that.

4. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    Yes when they are small they will fall asleep and flop there beak in or just fall over into it. They will be able to peck around the marbles to get water just fine.

5. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    Welcome to chicks and BYC

6. Buckhorn Farm

Buckhorn Farm OLD Country Girl

Mar 30, 2009
    North Florida
    They are so much fun....enjoy

7. BigSkyChickens

BigSkyChickens Free Bird

Apr 3, 2009
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Welcome and enjoy your new chickies! They are adorable when they fall asleep standing up, then nod over onto their beaks into sor of a "tripod".

8. astylishgirl

Apr 27, 2009
    Beaumont, Texas
    YES!! They are so cute when they sleep. My goodness, but they are either sleeping or wolfing down their food. They eat a lot. I swear they have already gotten bigger though I know its not so.

9. mmtillman

mmtillman Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:OH yes...it IS so!! My chicks didnt have tails when I went to bed one night and honestly the very next morning they had tails!!!! This was like at a week old or so...so yes...you are seeing them grow right b4 your eyes!!!! LOLOLOL Dont you love it!!! [​IMG]

10. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    So is your coop finished?

You will want them in it soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by