My first chicks!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by WewaChicken, May 15, 2009.

1. WewaChicken

WewaChicken Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2009
    Wewa
    Out of 27 eggs, so far 3 have hatched! A few have pipped also. They weren't due until tomorrow so this was a great surprise:D

Listening to my MIL, I left them in the turner (at least I unplugged it). The DH took the first one out sometime during the day. He didn't want it to get hurt fumbling around on the turner. He placed the still wet baby in the brooder. The temp is up (around 100 degrees), water and food are accessible.

So far so good. [​IMG]

My question is how long should it take the chicks to dry out? Should I put the other one back in the brooder? He seems to be doing ok. I don't want him to get lonely. LOL! Is there anything else I should be doing for the ones in bator?

2. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Actually leaving them in the incubator usually stimulates the other eggs to start pipping. They hear the chick peeping and more and more will pip.

Good luck with the rest of the hatch!

Laurie

3. WewaChicken

WewaChicken Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2009
    Wewa
    Thanks!

3 others have hatched and several have pipped and zipped so things are still on track! [​IMG]

Thanks everyone for all of the valuable info here on BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by