My First Coop almost finished *Pics*

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Dukeofhawg, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Hi All, I am almost finished building my first coop. I know my Mother Cluckers are excited to get out of the brooding box for sure. It's 6 X 4 X5H. Please let me know what you think, any suggestions much appreciated. I haven't put the roof on nor the nesting box. I'm trying to keep it light enough to move with 4 friends... and free beer :) The Run will be 6 X 16FT

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  2. Felony

Felony Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    Quebec, Canada
    really nice little coop, seems really bright and well ventilated in there, they're gonna be happy your hens! :)

3. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    Looks great but I'm curious about the ventilation holes. That's an awful lot of ventilation.

4. Great Question Mike. I live on the Oregon Coast.... we get a ton of rain. Once I put the roofing material on those vents will be tucked up under. I just didn't want too much moisture to build up in the coop... There is only vents at the top one half of the coop. I left the other side closed so the Cluckers wouldn't get too much of a cross draft. I kept hearing one of the biggest mistakes is not having enough ventilation, I hope it's not too much. I figure as long as the wind and rain don't get in, the ladies should be fine. What say you?

5. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    That makes sense. And the Oregon coast is actually pretty mild most of the time.... at least all the times I've been there. Doesn't seem to have very large temperature fluctuations.

6. Pretty much 30 to 50 in the winter and 50-70 in the summer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by