My first coop and and post.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by FrEaKchicken, May 4, 2017.

1. FrEaKchicken

FrEaKchicken New Egg

Mar 23, 2017
    Kansas
    So I just wanted to start off by saying hello. This is the first time that I've ever built something on this scale so I figured I would see how I did by asking you. I've been working on my coop for a two months now and I'm feeling more and more comfortable with it everyday. It is completely sustainable just over a week. I'm still looking into doing more and having it progress into a free flowing system. I leave the door open all day and night. I have dogs that keep predators away so no worries with that. I'm really just excited to get my first egg. I should also mention that I live in city limits so some things are limited to what I can do and have. I do interact with the chickens everyday I just don't have to clean or feed them every day so it makes it nice so I can really enjoy the perks of having them as pets and food producers. I'm going to say now that I plan on cooking the chickens after a long life. I feel that everything has a place in keeping the world rotating so why waste...... So this is my setup as of right now besides another waterer. I plan on having another feeder just so they don't have to fight over eating but it seems to be working at the moment. The feeder will be up this weekend and hey just cause something works doesn't mean you can't make it better right lol.The coop has been rain and storm tested. Not a drop of water has got in. It may help that it sits underneath a tree with lots of coverage. Since these photos have been taken I have put in a window just behind the perches for early morning lighting and I have also put in another vent and removed the wood landing in front of the run. That was only placed there due to being sloppy muddy after installing the run. Which is no longer that way. The plant in the corner is a lettuce plant that is wrapped with chicken wire so as it grows they can peck at it. I'm also looking for other ideas of plants to do this with and may even try a bush Please share ideas. I have also installed a dust bath under the coop. I do not provide food or water in the coop and it seems to stay cleaner for the most part with helping cut cost and extend clean up periods. Any advise and suggestion will be fully accepted for this is a learning experience and I'm completely up for making it smoother and easier to have happy chickens.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by