1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

My first Coop and run build.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Rothgardens, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Rothgardens

Rothgardens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2014
    Ocean County NJ
    Building my first Coop and Run. Its 4x6 coop set 2' off the ground. With a 14x6 run for six chickens.

Used a old shed base 2x6's and 3/4 plywood, cut it down from 8x10 to 4x6. Use old political signs for their 2x3 wood, framed out coop with three egg laying doors and two side door to make it easy to clean out.

[​IMG]

Doing all this in 30 degree weather with alittle snow left on the ground.

[​IMG]

Got a bunch of free hinges and latches from a fence guy that were left overs from jobs. A little over kill but the right price!

[​IMG]

Painted the trim in my basement, to cold out side to paint! Cut out some small windows and trimmed out the coop.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Final got a nice weekend 50 degrees! got the coop painted. Picked up paint from the dump Free!!!

Picked up a 20x6 dog pen, took out a section and put it on top to full cage in the run. Set it all on 4x4s with the help of my 3 year old son! A 2x10 for the ramp with wood strips treads. Wired in the bottom of the coop to add to the size of the run.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got two nice Geese decoys to test out the coop and run!

Still have to shingle the roof and put in some roost poles then i should be done!

I pick up are chickens March 5, can't wait!

1 person likes this.
  2. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    Looks good. Your help is adorable.

3. Primo

Primo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2013
    Texas
    Very creative, especially the use of the old political signs. I am sure a few good jokes can come out of that

4. Rothgardens

Feb 3, 2014
    Ocean County NJ
    [​IMG]
    New Tenants! Got 8 Rhode Island Reds and 3 Ameraucana. They should each have 9.82 Square feet of room in the coop and run. Plus they will be let out to run in the fenced in back yard.

[​IMG]

Right now they are in the basement under a heat lamp. My son is loving the new chickens. He has to hold them at least three times a day, and say good night to them before bed time!

5. Rothgardens

Feb 3, 2014
    Ocean County NJ
    [​IMG]

Girls are 7weeks old, and love to look out the windows.
    [​IMG]

6. Rothgardens

Feb 3, 2014
    Ocean County NJ
    [​IMG]
    Chickens are looking good, and getting big fast!
    [​IMG]

7. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks great. They look as if they are big enough to supply you with eggs.

8. Rothgardens

Feb 3, 2014
    Ocean County NJ
    Got are first two eggs this week. a fox has also been trying to get in the yard! No luck, must have built this coop and run right!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Rothgardens

Feb 3, 2014
    Ocean County NJ
    Doubled the size of the run. Got a free dog run and had enough extra fence to close in the top! [​IMG]

Now getting about 6 eggs a day!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by