1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

my first coop and run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by tundracub, Aug 21, 2013.

1. tundracub

tundracub Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2013
    Didnt really have any plans to go on. Just sorta happened. The coop is 8x5x5. Enough room for the four girls and more if i add. The run is 7x5x15. Very pleased with it overall. Now i dont have to worry bout the hawks pickin them off. [​IMG][/IMG]

2. tundracub

Mar 2, 2013
    [​IMG]

3. thomasboyle

thomasboyle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Northwest Hills of CT
    Very nice! Is the yard completely fenced in with the wooden fence in the background? One suggestion would be to re-inforce the chain link with 1/2" hardware wire, at least around the bottom 3 feet of the fence. Depending on where you live, possums, weasels, snakes etc can get through chain link without issue. My dog fence is chain link, and my dogs cornered a large possum a few months ago, and he tried to get out through the chain link fence. I was thinking, great, now I'll have to get my gloves on and pull him backwards once he is stuck, but he managed to wiggle his way out. I wouldn't have believed it, as he looked much bigger than the gap in the chain link fence!

4. tundracub

Mar 2, 2013
    Yes the enrtire yard is fenced in. Have only had a few stray cats in the back, but the bulldog takes care of that issue quite nicely.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by