1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My first coop build

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by lilket2, Oct 17, 2015.

1. lilket2

lilket2 New Egg

Jul 27, 2015
    St. Louis MO.
    [​IMG]

This is my first coop build. The run is 16x8 and the coop is 8x4. There are 4 nesting boxes and about 22 feet of roosting bars. It is home to 12 hens but wish i would have bought a few more. I made the coop movable by modifing trailer jacks with bigger tires and biulding a hitch to put on my tractor. I can have the coop jacked up, moved 20-30 feet and set back in place in about 5 minutes. I have a bucket feeder inside and a pvc feeder outside. I have a 5 gallon waterer inside with horizontal nipples and chicken guard automatic door. My chickens seem very happy and hope to start getting eggs in about a month. Let me know what you think or if you have questions or advice.

2. thomasboyle

thomasboyle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Northwest Hills of CT
    Very nice! I like the trailer jack concept. Can you post a close up of that? I'd like to see how you mounted it, the tires you used and how it works.

3. lilket2

lilket2 New Egg

Jul 27, 2015
    St. Louis MO.
    [​IMG]
    This is the only pic I have. I can try to post more tomorrow. I bought the jacks at northern tool for $20/each and the tire for $5/ each. I first took the cheap plastic wheel off. I used a long bolt as the Axel to go though the first wheel, through the Jack with a spacer, then out the second wheel. It took several trips to the hardware store to piece it all together and wish I would have written down all the sizes of the hardware. The only thing I would change is I wish I used solid tires. The cheap tires seem to lose air quickly. I have friends wanting me to build them for their trailers, if I do I will make a material list and post it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by