My first coop build

BallsEleven

Songster
Dec 12, 2019
South Louisiana
So I recently got some chicks and decided to build my own coop. I found a website with some great designs and picked one. I went with the 4x8 coop with an 8x8 run.

Overall it wasn’t a difficult design at all. Took a little longer than I thought but turned out pretty good. I’ll update this post with pics once I am done.

A couple of notes for anyone who wants to build it:

-I bought small latches to attach the run to the coop so I could easily disconnect it. It makes moving the coop much easier.

-I added a 1x2 spacer on the coop side by the nesting box since the nesting box hinge roof tends to rub on the run when lifting it.

-The open window with nothing but wire didn’t make much sense to me. Any time it rains that would allow water into the coop. I would not put the window and instead search for a gable vent you like and cut a hole to fit the vent. That way no water inside and you still get the ventilation. In hotter climates (like mine) it wouldn’t hurt to add a 2nd vent on the opposite side.

-Adding foam tape to the inside of the hinge for the nesting box lid will also reduce water getting into the coop.

IMO insufficient ventilation in the original design. How hot is your climate? 2 vents might not be enough. Really they should've designed for bigger overhangs with open soffits and then a window on both front and back. Maybe with the option of a hinged awning style cover to help further shelter from rain. That way you'd get more natural light inside, and much better amounts of fresh air too.

IMO insufficient ventilation in the original design. How hot is your climate? 2 vents might not be enough. Really they should've designed for bigger overhangs with open soffits and then a window on both front and back. Maybe with the option of a hinged awning style cover to help further shelter from rain. That way you'd get more natural light inside, and much better amounts of fresh air too.

I'm in southern Louisiana so pretty damn hot. However, it gets more ventilation than what you would think from the plans. The large sides had to be cut from 2 sheets of plywood so there are small cracks where they join. Also, the lid for the nesting boxes has about a 1 inch gap and the entire roof sits on 1x4s connected to the frame so it stays pretty dry in there. And I never close the small side door since I built the run coming off that side.

The open window with nothing but wire didn’t make much sense to me. Any time it rains that would allow water into the coop. I would not put the window and instead search for a gable vent you like and cut a hole to fit the vent. That way no water inside and you still get the ventilation. In hotter climates (like mine) it wouldn’t hurt to add a 2nd vent on the opposite side.
This is where a glazed, top hinged window would come into play,
and larger roof overhangs.

The 10x24x21 nest size is very strange.
Looking forward to seeing pics of your coop.

Back
Top Bottom