My first coop build

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bird_is_the_word, Jan 31, 2011.

1. bird_is_the_word

bird_is_the_word Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2011
    In the hills of WNC
    Well, I decided to take the plunge and build a coop. Nothing fancy but I figured I could go for it while I have the time. Winter time is always good for new projects [​IMG] So anyway, on with the build. First off I got the majority of everything I needed from friends and family. This included the wood. Now I know that I'm going to catch some flak about this but I did not use pressure treated wood. This is my first coop and I know I'll learn a lot so I'm going to see how it goes before I go spending the big bucks.

First, I used the BYC coop page for ideas so if you see your "style" in here I appreciate the inspiration.

I had to build this in my basement, so that meant I had to ve able to get it out the door. So the base is exactly 24" high.

[​IMG]

I used 4x4 posts and 2x4s to frame it in. I tried to go fancy and cut the corners on a 45 so that they would meet.

[​IMG]

Next I sunk the cross pieces 1/2" to make sure the floor would be flush

[​IMG]

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Looking good so far! [​IMG]

3. bird_is_the_word

Jan 13, 2011
    In the hills of WNC
    Next I laid the OSB board down and cut en entrance for the ladies to come up through

[​IMG]

I realized my design was somewhat shakey so I added in some supports to beef up the design. I also added in a couple more cross pieces underneath.

[​IMG]

I began thinking about the lay out of the coop so I decided it was time to start building some walls. I figured I'd need a solid wall, a wall for the nest boxes, a window with a view and a door so that I could clean out the mess.

Here's a couple of the walls. One is the solid wall and one is the nest box wall.

[​IMG]

So far so good [​IMG] My total investment so far..... $7.99 plus tax for a box of screws [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  4. abChicken

abChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Gaston County N.C.
    first class handywork neat [​IMG]

5. bird_is_the_word

Jan 13, 2011
    In the hills of WNC
    Now I know sooner or later I'm going to have to go outside with this thing so I guess I need to protect it. I had some left over primer from when we painted the upstairs so I used it on the base. Then I had to suck it up and go buy some paint. $13.88 later I ended up with some Kilz Siding, Fence & Barn paint.

[​IMG]

Now that I've used it I'll tell you. It's flat. Flatter than flat actually. I would have preferred some kind of semi-gloss but I'm cheap and that's what I get [​IMG]

2 coats later and wah-lah, the base is completely painted. Total cost so far.... $21.87 + tax

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next, I decided to protect my free OSB, so I thought a nice piece of linoleum would do the trick. A quick call to my father-in-law and I'm in business (glue included!!)

[​IMG]

Now, I'm not sure why I did this but I trimmed the corners of the linoleum. I guess I was going for the "neat" look [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    looking good! Can't wait to see the final coop!

7. blefky

blefky life in the yard

Mar 18, 2010
    stamford, ct
    I love the play by play pics - keep'em coming, looks great!! [​IMG]

8. bird_is_the_word

Jan 13, 2011
    In the hills of WNC
    It didn't matter though because the walls will overlap the linoleum so maybe that's what I was thinking.

[​IMG]

My next project was the nest boxes themselves. What better way to house my ladies than in fine OSB. So here's the finished product. These boxes will fit nicely inside my wall and provide a much needed place for my eggs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now that those two walls are complete I'm moving on to the back door and the front window. The back door was easy (so far). I haven't made the door yet at this point because I figure I need to wait until I get all the walls up and see what kind of lip on the bottom I'm having to work with.

[​IMG]

The window is going to be a little more tricky for a non-carpenter such as myself. I want to make a window under a window (??) yeah I don't understand it either. I want to make a window that has hardware cloth on it and then put the paned window on top and have it be able to open and let some fresh air in. It's still in the works.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  9. bird_is_the_word

Jan 13, 2011
    In the hills of WNC
    You'll notice on the last picture I have the solid wall skinned with 1/4" cedar (also free [​IMG]) This is what I plan on doing for the whole coop. It will be sheeted in cedar both inside and out. I figure it won't hurt and maybe it'll keep any bugs out. Plus it won't rod or mildew. Once I have it all up, I'm going to silicone the bottom edge around the floor to keep any nastiness from rolling up underneath the boards.

So now it's time to roll it outside. I took the walls down Saturday and moved the base under the carport so that I can finish the construction. I have more pics but they're at home on the camera. When I get them loaded up I'll show you where I stand currently.

So far the investment is looking good. I had to buy a couple of 2x4s so the price went up. Total so far.....$38.57

10. Eroc1_1

Eroc1_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    Looks great! I am liking the price and the creativity.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by