1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My first coop is almost done. Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sawyerashton, Dec 30, 2012.

1. sawyerashton

sawyerashton Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2012
    South Louisiana
    My Coop
    Here is my first coop and run almost done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The run will attach to the front of the coop. It is 8' x 4' x 4'. It is wrapped in 1 inch chicken wire top too. (sorry chicken hawks)

The coop stands 6' tall there is a 2 foot clearance underneath where I plan to keep their food and water. The coop itself is 4' x 4' x 4'. There will be a 1x1 opening for the chickens in the front and an access door for me in the back.

Will having the vent openings at the roof be enough or do I need to add windows? The way it is now, I can be almost certain that rain will not get in. I'm afraid that if I add windows, it will get wet inside.

Any suggestions before I finish?

2. americana-lover

americana-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Michigan
    This is really cute! Love the color!

3. cknkids

cknkids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2012
    Camarillo, CA
    1/2" Hardware cloth for the run, especially it you'll allow them free access to the run in warmer weather. Chicken wire is to keep chicken in, not predators out. Raccoons can reach through and pull the chickens apart, it happened to a friend. When you build the doors, have them over lap the framing not fit inside. We put ours inside the framing which left gaps and I worry about drafts. In the summer I can call it a design feature and since we don't live in a cold climate it's not too bad now. Our house is 6' 9" x 3" 8", I know wacky number built to fit an existing concrete pad.
    [​IMG]

4. sawyerashton

Dec 18, 2012
    South Louisiana
    My Coop
    Thanks. It is Barn Red. It was the cheapest paint I could find at Lowe's.

I've been thinking about this also. What I was thinking is putting the framing of the door inside the frame and then put a border around the edge to overlap the outside. Not sure if this is making any sense.

5. chicken dude

chicken dude Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2012
    nesting boxes and food and water must always be out from under the roosting stick. if not poop will get into the nesting boxes or the food and water making a mess or getting poop on the eggs.

6. sawyerashton

Dec 18, 2012
    South Louisiana
    My Coop
    My nest box is covered, but will be away from the roosts. I was planning on putting the food and water underneath the coop. Does it need to be inside?

7. sawyerashton

Dec 18, 2012
    South Louisiana
    My Coop
    I'm 98% done with the coop. I have one low roost int he coop now, and will wait till they are bigger to put the rest of the roosts.

The coop is 4x4x4 and the run is 4x12 including the 4x4 area under the coop.

The girls actually went inside by themselves last night. I think thanks to the nightlight I put on a timer for them.

Once they are bigger and the dog is better trained, I'll be letting them out to roam the backyard in the afternoons which is about 75'x75'.

[​IMG]
    (The building in the back is part of my parents land. They live next door and have the 3 lots around me.)

[​IMG]
    (The girls really seem to like their cinderblock. Although I'm sure poop is collecting in the holes)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by