My First Coop! (Pics) Suggestions please? :)

KellyGwen

Songster
11 Years
Apr 28, 2008
Lake Luzerne, NY
This is my first post!! I just finished building my coop (out of an old garden shed). It's all painted now, the only thing left is the fence and netting... and the CHICKS! They are being shipped to me in just under 2 weeks! I'm getting 9 asst brown egger pullets, 8 asst white egger pullets, 5 Ameraucana pullets, 1 Ameraucana male, 1 danish brown leghorn male and one silver lakenvelder male... I can't wait!!

I only had to buy the paint and one latch... other than that this was all "found" material! This shed was FULL of old stuff! The inside wall with the door wasn't there, the window wasn't there or the back door... I did a LOT of work! The "back yard" was full of big boxes of scrap wood, brush, dead trees (I had to cut them down) and that fence wasn't there either... it was really a mess... haha... The perfect spot to let "Crazy Kelly" build her own little barn!!

Please check out the pics.. I'd love any suggestions!
smile.png

Thanks!!!

(P.S. The sawdust is still in a pile in the corner and that ladder will be "hung up" at a slant once the chicks are out of the brooder... There just isn't room in there when I have the cardboard up! I have nice clean shavings and a clean sheet for the babies when they arrive!)

P1010448.jpg

P1010447.jpg

P1010449.jpg

P1010451.jpg

P1010453.jpg

P1010456.jpg

P1010458.jpg

Congratulations on your setup! It's very functional, but has so many artist touches. Your girls will love it.

Quote:
I looked at your page... it looks like we have the same model shed!!!
smile.png
I bet yours will be better, you have a hubby helping you.. mine's afraid of getting his hands dirty... and the only power tool that doesn't scare him is his guitar.. hahaha... (He's a musician...
smile.png

First -- Welcome to BYC!!

I love what you've done. You should be so proud of your accomplishment and your chicks will love their new home.

I can't believe there are people out there that are smart enough to get their coop done BEFORE getting the chickens. (kicks self on behind)

Quote:
Hahaha!! I really had no choice... my family is a bunch of "dust-o-phobes", there was no way I could put the brooder in the house.. or even the garage (know anyone else who MOPS their garage?? Now you do, my MIL!!)... So I had to have it done before they got here
smile.png
I didn't want to scare them with my circular saw or hammer... BTW: I'm the "black-sheep" AKA: ole muddy boots.
smile.png

Thanks for your kudos! I'm loving this site! My family doesn't really know anything about farm animals... i.e.: My mom... "It looks great... but I don't really know what I'm looking at... What are those cubbies for?" Hahaha! She tries!!

Quote:
I looked at your page... it looks like we have the same model shed!!!
smile.png
I bet yours will be better, you have a hubby helping you.. mine's afraid of getting his hands dirty... and the only power tool that doesn't scare him is his guitar.. hahaha... (He's a musician...
smile.png

lau.gif
yes we do have the same model shed! Mine is smaller from what I se in the pictures! i think yours is in better condition too. I am hoping DH sees to that as well!

I am very lucky with my DH. Have never paid to have anything done here and he is not afraid to get dirty!
clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom