My First Coop & Run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ReapKarmah, Nov 10, 2011.

1. ReapKarmah

ReapKarmah New Egg

Nov 10, 2011
    It took about 3 months of on/off work to get this project complete but it's finally there! We wanted to build the best place for our little chicklets so me and my fiance put this together:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] Kabuki enjoying his perch!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] This is how our "manly" rooster relaxes lol.
    (These images are a few days before completion; there is a wired roof to the run now)

What do you think? I'm not a fan of labor so this was quite the task, but totally worth it knowing my lovelies have a great place to live; and we can sit right in there with them and relax together!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  2. LizzyJo

LizzyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Aptos CA
    Beautiful blue paint, matches your extension cord! I see you used chicken wire, generally a no-no, but you covered it at the lower part with a stronger material. If you're lucky no bad guys will come around in the daytime and try to get in the run. At night your chickens will be locked up like Fort Knox. Probably it would take a bear to get into the coop!

You know by now that your viewing chairs are going to have poop on them all the time.

3. ReapKarmah

ReapKarmah New Egg

Nov 10, 2011
    Haha luckily we haven't had that issue with poop on the chairs as they prefer to sit on the perch and we're on the chairs. Although rain certainly gets on the chairs!
    We hate chicken wire but had such a low budget to work with, so we figured at least protect the base with the proper stuff, hardwire cloth, by bending the 4' cloth in half and burying 2' under dirt so nothing can dig in at all in any location! The chicken wire is only for the upper walls and very tightly secured. The roof is a green fencing wire, very heavy and sturdy (though not seen in these pics) so this run is very well protected and I couldn't be happier! Luckily we don't get bears o_o; but those raccoons and foxes and chipmunks will not be getting in! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by