My first coop (tractor)!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MPLSHens, Aug 7, 2009.

1. MPLSHens

MPLSHens In the Brooder

Aug 5, 2009
    This is my first coop! I got the design idea from robocoop.com. The top and back open up. Right now, I am working on taking out the chicken wire and putting in 1/2" hardware cloth. How does it look? What can I do to make it better? It is 4' by 8' and 2' tall.

[​IMG]

And closer:
    [​IMG]

Also, I was wondering when the best time to move the chicks into it is? It hasn't been the warmest summer here in minneapolis, but it has been in the mid 80's.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  2. havi

havi [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    The pictures arent showing up, just a big red X. As for the chicks, I would think once they start getting their feathers in they would be alright. Not really sure how old they are, but you could always put a light in there for them. I have the problem of it being too hot, so maybe someone use to the colder weather could help you out more.

3. MPLSHens

MPLSHens In the Brooder

Aug 5, 2009
    Right now they are a little over a week and a half old! Do the pictures work now?

4. havi

havi [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
  5. muddypuddles

muddypuddles Songster

May 19, 2009
    yes they are showing up fine. I think 1 and a half weeks is too young to go without a heat light . you can do a search and find out the temperature to keep chicks at at that age.

6. Holly O

Holly O Songster

May 1, 2009
    Bergen Norway
    I believe it's 80 - 85 deg. at this time. A heat source may be required.
    I put mine outside with a heating pad at that age. But it was early spring then. they will let you know if they are cold. they will huddle together and Cheep like crazy.

Cute tractor BTW

7. CityChook

CityChook Songster

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    Is there a floor? If there isn't, you'll want to bury hardware wire all they way around the coop/run to keep critters from digging in. If the desire is to move it around, then consider an apron that folds OUT from the structure. Also consider how you will keep snow/water out this winter/spring.

My feeling is that your chicks shouldn't go outside until they have all their feathers, around 4-6 weeks old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: