1. pw_quiltworks

pw_quiltworks One Handy Chick

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    Here's mine. It came out pretty good for a first timer. Cost a little more than I thought it would. It needs a little work in the spring on the peaks. I used some sort of odd paneling. Not sure if I like it much. It is insulated tight with thick Styrofoam. The chickens seem to like it. I am using a heat lamp to heat it. Works ok. It was -8 degrees a week or so ago the chickens were fine. The water skimmed over a little. Nothing serious. We usually don't get cold weather that bad.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  2. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

Looks pretty good--what is the inside like?

3. pw_quiltworks

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    The nest boxes are built on the outside in the back and on the inside it's like a small hall with perches. Nothing fancy. Not a great picture I didn't want the skanks to get cold. They are only 12 weeks old. Another 12 and maybe I will see an egg. Hopefully
    [​IMG]

4. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Hello and Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I think you did a fantastic job for your first time!!!

Dawn

5. pw_quiltworks

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    My Husband designed and built it. I only helped. He designed the house and built that too. He's handy to have around. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] I should have said first time coop by dh.

6. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    It looks great. Unusual and cool windows!

7. pw_quiltworks

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    Quote:The window is Plexiglas. Just screwed on. Works and is pretty much air tight.

I saw on another post this guys coop and he has a wood stove in it. What a great idea. We heat our house with a wood stove. For a coop...could be a little tricky.

8. namreknat

namreknat Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2008
    N.W. Oklahoma
    [​IMG]

Good looking coop! Looks like your chickens are happy in there!

9. pw_quiltworks

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    Quote:I hope so. I know 0 about chickens. I am learning fast. I know now not to have bare skin with moles or any kind of marks, zits, scratches or anything they can get their beak on. Ouch. I learned the hard way what not to do. LOL.

I am working on a design for a feeder. I hate the one I have. It's a hanging one and the feed does not slide down good. And the feed that comes down they pick it out onto the floor. I think I might do something with pvc pipe and a timer. I will have to think about it. Seems a mechanism like a egg turner could be modified.....I will have to think about this more. Sorry about my blabbering. Thanks for all the compliments. I have found out one thing. Chickens are not cheap!!!
    Priscilla

10. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Looks nicer than my house...Seriously!

Gorgeous....Thanks for sahring

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by