- Jul 5, 2021
My first coop and my wife has already bought so many chickens I am going to have to add on to it
North Texas, there is a huge window not shown in the picture and I still have not put in the roost boards and I am still going to build a 16’x16’ pin attached to that runYou've done a nice job on that.
Yikes! You'll need to make a regular chicken palace.
Here's some math for you.
For each adult, standard-sized hen you need:
So, for 20 birds,
- 4 square feet in the coop,
- 10 square feet in the run,
- 1 linear foot of roost,
- 1/4 of a nest box,
- And 1 square foot of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation, preferably located over the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost.
Where, in general, are you located? Climate matters, especially when building chicken housing.
- 80 square feet in the coop.
- 20 feet of roost
- 200 square feet in the run. 10'x20', 12'x16' or 8'x25' as suits the land available.
- 12 square feet of ventilation.
- 5 nest boxes.
North Texas, there is a huge window not shown in the picture and I still have not put in the roost boards and I am still going to build a 16’x16’ pin attached to that run