My First Coop!!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Airilith, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Airilith

Airilith Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    I got my first coop! Yay!!!

After much scraping, scrubbing, and disinfecting it is finally ready to make its debut.

Here's a front view:
    [​IMG]

Here's a back view:
    [​IMG]

The nest boxes:
    [​IMG]

And little Beanie helping her mom clean the new coop:
    [​IMG]

And you want to know the best part? It was FREE!! Woot for Craigslist!

So now here come the questions [​IMG] The metal on the top covers the gap in the plywood, but I'm not sure that it provides enough ventilation. Should I add some more? And if so, I was thinking 2 rectangle vents on the front side. Sound good?

And if anyone had this style coop, how did you get roosts in there? It looks like the 2x4s on the floor were used as makeshift roosts. It just seems too short to get a decent roost in. So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks bunches!

EDIT: Well darn, it cut Beanie out of the picture [​IMG] I swear she's sitting there looking all cute and pretending to help.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  2. SilverStar

SilverStar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    california
    [​IMG]

3. juliect

juliect Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Niota, TN
    Yay! [​IMG]
    We will make room for you in the next Chickaholics Anonymous meeting! [​IMG]

4. rainnotebook

rainnotebook Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Northern AZ
    That looks awesome!! How exciting!

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Thats wonderful!!!! Your girls should be quite happy! [​IMG]

6. Airilith

Sep 28, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Thank you everyone!

Quote:You're soooo thoughtful. And to think I don't even have chicks yet *sigh* I'm just going to submit to the inevitable. [​IMG]

7. juliect

Jul 9, 2009
    Niota, TN
    Quote:You're soooo thoughtful. And to think I don't even have chicks yet *sigh* I'm just going to submit to the inevitable. [​IMG]

Yep, it is inevitable. This is coming from a woman who only wanted "2-3 hens for the eggs"...5 months later I have 10 pullets and 2 roos...converting a storage building into a coop...and planning my chick order for Spring [​IMG] I can't stop!!!!!

8. Airilith

Sep 28, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Julie, I'm so in that boat. I started off thinking 2, then it was 5, then it was .... [​IMG]

Oh and I thought of another question for my coop. Should I add a couple windows to let sun light in? I was thinking that it'll be pitch black in there during the winter when the doors will have to be shut all the time.

9. juliect

Jul 9, 2009
    Niota, TN
    I think adding windows would be an excellent idea, especially if you want to keep the eggs coming in.

10. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Nice find and it looks good and sturdy. Do you have raccoons, coyotes, or dogs in your area? They can all rip through chicken wire pretty easily, so you may want to replace it with some hardware cloth.
    Sure wish I could find something that nice on CL [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by