1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My First Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Foghorn, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Foghorn

Foghorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Connecticut
    [​IMG]base
    [​IMG]floor started
    [​IMG]beefed up the base
    [​IMG]floor done
    [​IMG]back and front framed
    [​IMG]rafters and sides
    [​IMG]nest boxes started
    [​IMG]different angle
    [​IMG]nest boxes done
    [​IMG]back wall
    [​IMG]nest wall and roof
    [​IMG]three sides
    [​IMG]front
    [​IMG]windows

I will do more tomorrow. I need to put plexi-glass in, hang door, cut out pop door, etc. I am planning on raising the chicks in the coop. It is 6'X8' 5' high in front and 4' in rear. They will be confined to a smaller area, of course. Then when the time is right, I will put them in a small pen while I move coop out to back yard. I will connect the coop to a pen I will have made by the time I move coop. I have not decided how big pen will be. Any thoughts?

1 person likes this.
  2. Mr.Dad

Mr.Dad Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    North Jersey
    Very nice (thumbs up)....

I'm planning to take the easier (for me) route and convert a plastic (heavy duty) shed....

Nice work [​IMG]!!

3. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

4. LICHICK

LICHICK Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2007
    New York
    Beautiful coop. I hope it wont be too heavy to get it outside

5. thechickenfarmer

thechickenfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Connecticut
    Looks great!

6. cindydj

cindydj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2007
    Looks very nice, good job!

7. Foghorn

Foghorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Connecticut
    LICHICK,
    I know! I keep testing it's weight now and then, as I add more to it, and it is getting pretty heavy. I will be dragging it with either my tractor or my Jeep. One way or another, I will get it to where I want it by the time the chicks are ready!

8. LICHICK

LICHICK Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2007
    New York
    Why dont you wait until it is warmer & finish outside before it is too heavy and you might damage it dragging it. The chicks can stay in a small box in the garage until you finish building it. It looks so nice it would be a shame if it gets damaged

9. MyBackyard

MyBackyard Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2007
    Help........... My wife and I are starting our Backyard Barnyard and are in question about our interior
    of the housing for our hens we have 8 comming in about a month.....I bought a small building already made and have been upfitting it to house not only my chickens but also my bunnies so I have kinda devided the building in 1/3rds the middle for storage, feed, etc. (me ) but anyway I am building 3 nesting boxes and a perch area. The problem is when all this is done if I do it like I plan, there is no room for feeders and waters....expecially when you add in calcium and gritt bins.... My wife says instead of a chicken coop I am building a chicken Villa.....She draws the line at me taking them the wide screan TV.....Any suggestions the area I am working with is about 5x8 retangle (8 foot ceilings) with a door for me in the middle inside wall and a small one for them on the outside wall leading out into a 12x8 run.

HELP Please

10. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    Hey Mybackyard,

Raise the nest box off the floor about 18 inches and put a feeder underneath it. You can put their oyster shell, grit, and waterer outside in their run. If the waterer is outside, you just have to be sure to let them out every morning OR.... make the run predator proof and fully enclosed so that they can have access 24/7 with the little door open.
    The food can be outside too as long as it is covered so that it doesnt get wet. Wet feed leads to mold which can kill the chickens.

Show us pictures.

Leghorn..... Very nice coop!!

chel

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by