my first coop!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cajunbuck, Jun 12, 2011.

1. cajunbuck

cajunbuck Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2011
    Waco, TX
    [​IMG]

Hoping to have 3 little ladies in this today. got the roost from Poultry Pods and love it so far! Any comments or suggestions are welcome!

2. jimg5613

jimg5613 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2011
    omaha
    Nice little setup. I hope you enjoy your chickens.[​IMG][​IMG]

3. kidd42

kidd42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Valley Springs, Ca.
    Awesome coop and run, your girls will be very happy! Welcome to the addiction.

4. CSWolffe

CSWolffe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Salt Lake City
    Nice little coop!
    What breeds are you housing in there?

5. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Very nice little set up but I'm hesitant about the use of chicken wire instead of hardware cloth and the lack of a skirt. I realise it looks set up to lock down at night but the critters will come out at all time of the day for a easy meal. You appear to be in a nice urban area but the coons and fox are likely going to fine you and either tear thru the wire or dig under, either one leads to a broken heart. Not meaning to rain on your parade but you should be aware of the possible issue before it hits.

6. CSWolffe

CSWolffe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Salt Lake City
    He can always do what I did, add welded wire over the chicken wire around the lower perimeter. This adds extra protection from dogs and foxes and such.

7. cajunbuck

cajunbuck Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2011
    Waco, TX
    Bryan,

I appreciate the "devils advocate" for pointing out potential problems. I buried treated 2x4s to not only help with leveling, but also to help keep out diggers. I would be extremely surprised to see a fox or even a coon in our neighborhood. The only real threat i see to the chickens are hawks, but for them or any other predators that want to try, I have a 90lb boxer named "Tank" who should be able to handle pretty anything that comes our way :)

Hoping to have 3 RIR or similar breeds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by