My first coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by prescott2k, Feb 29, 2012.

1. prescott2k

prescott2k Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2012
    Dixon, CA
    Here is my first attempt at building a coop. I used mostly scrap wood from an old patio and the plywood was given to me by a family member. I did buy the nesting boxes but all in all it was pretty close to dirt cheap. I'm going to put a corrugated roof on it, I just haven't got the materials yet. It's going to be housing 4-6 chickens. Any suggestions on how to make my coop better would be greatly appreciated!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. how long is the roost? LOOKS GOOD![​IMG]

3. oh, and good idea for under the roost!! keeps cleaning a lot easier i bet! but, at the same time, i would put something there so you can close at your convience, so that when it gets cold, you can keep the cold out!

4. prescott2k

prescott2k Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2012
    Dixon, CA
    I appreciate the input, I didn't even think about the door for the bottom! The roost is about 40" long and is 1 1/2 inches thick. Thanks again for the compliment, I had to fight with alot of warped boards to get this together so I'm pretty happy with how well it turned out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by