My First Cull

Brooks_

!!Florida Man!!
Premium Feather Member
Jun 2, 2020
Near Devil's Millhopper
One cockerel (hatched 5-28-20) would get bullied by the alpha. We would let him out to free range during the day, sometimes we could get a couple of girls to come out with him but usually not. In the evening we would let the rest of the flock (he really wanted to be part of it) out for their 1-2 hours of free time. He would end up getting chased and bit, then sometimes he would lash out at people. With that and his quality of life or lack thereof, the decision was made to cull him. I used the broomstick method and am pretty sure it was quick for him, but the nerve impulses lasted longer than I thought. Or maybe not, I only knew that they happened. I like to think that I tried everything for him. Not only for him, but for me (bad childhood chicken experiences). I stayed with him and reminded him that it wasn't his fault while he joined the great flock. Some part of me will miss him. He was a pet and I liked him.

Anyway, that's the story of my first cull. Thanks for reading.

Thanks @3KillerBs and @MissE. Confirmation from experienced chicken keepers helps.

At that moment, my head was like "Oh expletive, did I expletive up? Do I need to do it again?". In hindsight I can say that the nerves were firing for his wings and legs, but his head was not moving. I guess I did it correctly and now I know that I can do the hard part of keeping chickens. And the rest of the flock seems happier, more calm. Less tension? There are 2-3 girls that were loyal to him. I imagine that in time they'll forget him.

Back
Top Bottom