My first day in the Farmer's Market!

My Little Sister's Farm

Songster
11 Years
May 13, 2008
Forest Grove, Oregon
So I think it went well, lots of people stopped to ask questions. And many of them mentioned that they just bought eggs because they didn't think anyone would ever be selling them at the FM. I had 13 purchases, not bad for $5/dozen. I thought I would have more, but I think people need to be able to get used to the idea of purchasing local eggs. We sold by color as most of our hens are green egg layers and most people really liked that, but I think I will blend in some of our white and brown eggs with them for a great mix of 3. Most will still be green, but there will be at least 2 brown and 1 white in each dozen from here out I think.

Thank you everyone for helping me out with the insurance thing, and of course all of the previous posts have always inspired me, for prices and everything.

I hope that my little hobby farm can pay off the insurance price in the next 2 months so I can start making back some feed money. I figure I wouldn't have sold all these eggs, and the many more I will sell if I didn't have this great investment. Once my name is out there though, I think people will seek me out!

Thanks for everything BYC!!!

Congrats on the sales! I think that you did really well for the first time selling and I'm sure that they'll seek you out and also tell their friends and familys.

I sell them for $5/dz. as well and had to add more chickens to lay more eggs especially during molt time and the hot hot weather when a lot of them stop laying. My customers come from word of mouth.

So great going!
big_smile.png

I sell mine for 1.75 a dozen, but, our farmers market dictates what price we sell things and i am not fond of that. This pays for my feed and gives a little extra spending cash. May go up to 2.00 a dozen with feed raising like it is. This also helps some of the people I work with get farm fresh eggs at a good price, which makes me happy.

Well, I pay nearly $4/dozen for organic, "free-range" eggs at the grocery store, so I would fully expect to pay at LEAST that much for farm-fresh eggs. I don't think that $5/dozen is out of line in the least, and in some markets, just a higher price gives people a feeling like they're getting something better (which, in this case, they certainly are).

Here in Colorado $3 to $4 range is totally acceptable. People here are willing to shell out money if they know it's really fresh and organic.

Way to go! $5 a dozen is great!

If I didn't have chickens and I bought eggs at a FM I'd LOVE to get different colored eggs in a dozen! How fun is that!

Last edited:
I don't think your price is out of line and apparently neither did all the people who bought your eggs. I think the mixed color dozen is a great idea. It's certainly a novelty that you can't get in the store and I think a lot of people would be really drawn to such a pretty collection of eggs. Congratulations and good luck! I think you'll see your sales continue to grow.

Back
Top Bottom