My first death

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CaptnGreever, Dec 8, 2014.

1. CaptnGreever

CaptnGreever Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2014
    Woke up to my first chicken death today... She has been completely fine until yesterday...

One of the kids got in the chicken run yesterday and my rooster tried to flog him. SOOOO I'm not sure if this would have caused her to stress??
    Afterwards, she seemed to cough? And continued to cough randomly throughout the evening and made a racket in the coop all night. I woke up this morning to find her dead.

Everyone else is fine except for one lady who is being very lethargic. I'm hoping this isn't a disease.. But I'm not sure what to do? Any suggestions?

2. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Coughing does not sound good. You need to watch for any sign of it from an one else, then separate the first one to do it, and get a vet if you can.

1 person likes this.
  3. CaptnGreever

Jun 11, 2014
    yeah... I can't imagine the cough being good at all! Thank you

4. threescompany

threescompany Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2014
    So sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

5. JensChickies

JensChickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2014
    Awwww I'm sorry. Maybe she had heart problems?? Humans can caugh when they have heart problems....maybe chickens do too?? Not sure....just a suggestion. :fl

6. CaptnGreever

Jun 11, 2014
    I have a second chicken starting to cough (?) but this time it sounds more like hiccups. It's gone on since this morning, but I noticed tonight it wasn't happening as much.
    Tonight I noticed my rooster in the nesting box... Which he never does. his tail was down and he was squinting. I noticed he has a funky eye... It's kinda gunky and maybe a little swollen? After looking at the rest or the flock, one of the ladies has the eye thing too.
    Could saline help for this? Reminds me a little of pink eye??
    Could this be maraks???

I'm afraid I'm about to lose my entire flock...

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Here is a good link to compare the symptoms of what you are seeing. Look up MG, infectious bronchitis, coryza, and ILT: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

1 person likes this.
  8. CaptnGreever

Jun 11, 2014
    I gave 1/2 cc of Tylan50 to my three croaky sounding birds.
    My rooster and one hen have crusty eyes to the point where they are completely crusting shut. I'm wiping them out with warm water every few hours. They won't leave the coop - I think cause they can't see.
    I've also added electrolytes/vitamins to their water. Should I seek out pedialite?
    Is there anything I can do for the eyes?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by