My first deformed chick, it doesn't look too bad to me?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dandymandie, Aug 18, 2016.

1. dandymandie

dandymandie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2015
    Fort Bragg, Ca
    I don't know if this is really all that bad? I was looking for similar problems but I guess I don't know how to describe it. I noticed it last night but he had just hatched so I didn't wanna take him from under mama just yet. I checked again this morning and its dried up now. He doesn't have the best balance but otherwise seems pretty normal. What do you all think please?
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I'm not real sure what we're looking at. Is it the spot where there appears to be no down on the side of the head?

You're right. It's minor. However, if there's a defect on the outside, there may also be defects on the inside. Keep watch for problems such as constipation, pasty butt, lack of appetite in a couple more days, inability to walk, etc.

It's a sweet little baby chick. I hope it has no other problems and develops normally.

3. dandymandie

dandymandie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2015
    Fort Bragg, Ca
    Thank you! Yes, the pictures lost quite a bit of quality when I uploaded them. The best way I can describe it is that it sort of looks like a burn scar. Where there are feathers around it I can see skin but the actual spot doesn't seem to have skin on it. He is super sweet, and I'm thinking about raising him inside so the previously hatched chicks don't peck him. I'm definitely going to keep an eye on the spot and his behavior. Thank you again!I'm so glad it is minor.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by