My First Double Yolker

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rileysgranny, Nov 17, 2008.

1. rileysgranny

rileysgranny Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2008
    Tennessee, USA
    I have been following some of the conversation about double and triple yolked eggs, and watched the video on another thread of twins hatching, but hadn't had the double yolk experience - until Saturday! I couldn't believe it when I opened the door to the nest boxes. My hens are all young and one just starting laying. I don't know who did it, but I looked to see who was walking funny!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I did circumfrence measurements too, but forgot to bring them to work. I'll post an edit tomorrow with that info. DH wash shocked! But, that didn't stop him from enjoying eating it on Sunday morning.

2. mama3chix

mama3chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    [​IMG] YYYAAA!!! Congrats

3. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Congrats. I also got my first double a couple weeks ago.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Congratulations!!! You will probably see more double yokers. Mine layed quite a few when they first started laying.

5. barred rock

barred rock Out Of The Brooder

i got my first last monday and it weighed 4 ounces and it was very good

6. sex links?

7. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Congrats on your first double yolker [​IMG]

8. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    That is exciting! And....tasty, I am sure! [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. rileysgranny

rileysgranny Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2008
    Tennessee, USA
    All About The Egg - 3 of them are black sex links. One is a BR/BSL mix, one is a BO/BSL mix, the other 3 are BSL. At least that is what I was told when I got them.

I don't have a scale so I didn't weigh it, but here is the comparison measurements:

"Normal" egg in nest at the same time: 5 1/2 inches around at the fattest part. 6 3/8 inches around from tip, around and back again.

Double Yolker: 6 inches around at the fattest part. 7 1/4 inches around from tip, around and back again.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  10. The sexlinks are egg laying machines. They are also nice chickens, easy to take care of.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by