my first double yolker!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by crystal94040, Feb 22, 2008.

1. crystal94040

crystal94040 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2007
    cool eh?! Can't get that with store bought eggs.
    I was making corn bread and went out to the hen house for an egg...I brought them in and washed off the biggest one...cracked it into my bowl and whalah - two eggs in one shell....my kids thought it was super cool [​IMG]
    I was a little worried how it would screw with my recipe, but everything turned out yummy [​IMG]

I'm curious if "twin" chicks ever hatch and survive? The egg was big, but not twice the size of a normal one....hmmm

2. Churkenduse

Churkenduse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    That's great I can't wait for my first double yolker.

I did have a milestone today every hen laid and egg in the same day, I think that is neat, I wonder how many I will get tomorrow

3. Don B

Don B Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2007
    Louisiana
    I have read that double yolk eggs do not produce twin birds. Only one per customer - er - shell. All of my double yolkers have been HUGE. I can always tell a double before cracking it.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  4. HobbyChickener

HobbyChickener Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2007
    central KY
    how do you get a double?

5. gardener

gardener Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2007
    Willamette Valley
    Doubles just happen sometimes. I think it is more common with hens just starting to lay.
    There was someone on the forum that tried to hatch a double yolker both embryos developed but
    it didnt end good.

6. newchickmom

newchickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2007
    Lafayette, Indiana
    That is soooo cool. I have a third hen out of 20 start laying today, and out of 3 eggs 2 were double-yokers!

We had fried egg sandwiches for lunch today. Yum [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by