My first duck (is cuter than yours)!! *Picture Uploaded

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Adri_San27, Nov 26, 2009.

1. Adri_San27

Adri_San27 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2009
    Pullman, WA
    Well, I am home for thanksgiving break, and was cruising Craigslist when I found a post for a duckling and chick close by (10.00 for the pair). Later that day I went to check them out. The duckling turned out to be the cutest little runner, and I will have to post pictures when I get home. The person I bought them from did not know their ages, or even what kind the chicken was. She was adament on selling them as a pair, and I understand now. As soon as they are separated, they both go absolutely crazy peeping to eachother. Makes the runner's bath time a little stressful for both of them.

Since the chicken is tiny, its name is Nugget. I haven't decided what to name the runner since I don't know if its a boy or a girl yet (although I was thinking Dollop would be cute!).

The runner (still all fluff, no feathers) is dark gray, with a creamy / yellow chest, and has little white tips on its wings. Anyone know what color it will be?

I'll have to put up pictures of the chicken. It is about the size of a full grown quail, and is already feathered out everywhere so I was thinking that it is a small breed, but I'm not sure since I have never had a baby chicken before.

Yay!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    YOu can't declare it cuter than mine unless you post a picture [​IMG]

3. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    This is the first duck we hatched in the classroom "Quackers" a little Khaki Campbell. She was pretty relaxed, imprinted on me, and followed me around the classroom.

[​IMG]

4. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    I have two ducks named Moose and Goose. I was going to name them Hemmingway and Hildagar but my brother hated those names LOL.

5. eggybritches

eggybritches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Central Florida
    The beak looks awfully short for a runner.

6. ohiofarmgirl

ohiofarmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    oh no.. thats one cute duckling but here's the real cutie....

[​IMG]

7. 688peterl

688peterl Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    Quote:i wanted my ducks to imprint on me but they havent! unless i have food they do not want to know lol, they are nice and friendly and they do sometimes follow me around but thats just so they can peck me

8. Adri_San27

Sep 13, 2009
    Pullman, WA
    this guy doesn't look like a runner? when he stands it is definetely more upright than normal ducks. mixed breed maybe?

and also is it too old to imprint on me?

9. Adri_San27

Sep 13, 2009
    Pullman, WA
    and Tia, your duck is adorable! Mine is still a little wary of me and hasn't been able to relax that much.

10. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    Here is one of my black runners as a duckling. Its bill did not look very long either, but is quite long now. Yours might look similar to this, but yours has a little bit of lighter color on its chest too. Whatever color it is.... it is a very cute duckling.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by