my first duck lockdown... pics added first post

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by faykokoWV, May 23, 2010.

1. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    So tomorrow is lock down for my first ever duck hatching. I started with 15 eggs and 13 have made it to lock down. The other two were quitters, I did not crack to check development, but there were blobs in there.. the smell was just too bad to make cracking worth it.

So anyway, just looking for any last minute tips that may help bring this hatch to full term.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I wanted to add, these eggs were from member EvermoreRanch

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  2. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    what kind are they?

3. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    humidity.... keep it high, put a maxi pad in there with hot water on it to boost your humidity, I keep mine about 80% Ducks need more humidity... and don't open the bater!!! Thats all the advice I can think of!

4. faykokoWV

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    they are runner ducks. I like the maxi pad idea. Can I put them directly on a wet towel or would that be bad?

5. lorihadams

lorihadams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2008
    virginia
    ooooooo, oooooo, hatching buddy!!! I have indian runners that went on lockdown yesterday too!!! I have my humidity at 70% or higher.....I got one of those shamwow thingies (generic knockoff) and draped it in between two tubs of water with the ends down in it and that has raised the humidity quite a bit. I am trying to keep the door closed but I have opened it once to fill the water bowls up with hot water. My humidity and temp recovers pretty quickly so I'm hoping they will be okay....

Good luck, this is my first hatch too!!! [​IMG]

6. zatsdeb

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    Quote:I just put the maxi pad in under where you have a plug hole in case you need to put more water in but I usually am fine, just fill the troughs with water and set the maxi pad in and put water on it, you don't need a wet towel.. some people put paper towels under the eggs though to keep the mess down to a minimum!

7. LilDucky85

LilDucky85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    I never had a lockdown. Both times I hatched ducks I went to mist the eggs and saw that there were early pips! I thought omg and quickly shut it. The humidity was really good in there so I didnt have to worry about anyone getting stuck in the shell.

8. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    I have a long deep butter dish that I cut sponges to fit and fill the inside with. Then I fill it with water. Holds a lot of water and nothing can get in it and drown. Same idea as the maxi pad but those guys out there might like it better [​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  9. zatsdeb

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    Quote:yeah, I can see some guy standing in front of the womens bathroom in walmart... Trying to get a woman to go in a buy him a maxi pad for 25 cents! "I only need one!" [​IMG]

10. faykokoWV

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    Quote:yeah, I can see some guy standing in front of the womens bathroom in walmart... Trying to get a woman to go in a buy him a maxi pad for 25 cents! "I only need one!" [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by