My first Duck Story (pics) what do I get now??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Hattiegun, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Heres my story, Ill try and make is as short as possible..I live on a Lake and my niece found a duckling that was lost from its family that we searched for with no Luck, so she begged to keep it... I said okay , 2 days later she left to go back home (out of state) and I was left with a duckling and knew absolutely NOTHING about ducks. Within a week I had fallen competely head over heels for the little guy... I researched everything I could find .. (My neice named him HotRod). My husband also fell for him. I turned my screened in porch into HotRds little domain, lined the floor with disposable puppy pads, woodchips where he slpet and tub to swim in.Every floor in my house that he could access was covered with towels and puppy pads so he could be with us whenever we were home.. I took him out to search for bugs and exercise everynite after work. He went to work with me at least 1 day a week. We sell all farm animal feeds at my work so I knew what to feed him. As he grew , I took him swimming on the lake everynite , and we hung on the dock/lake all weekends..he went everywhere with me ,, well he was a she as she got her colors and she was a Wood Duck (which we knew already) I knew she was a wild duck and that she would leave someday as thats also what I wanted. And that happened Labor day weekend. I was devestated because I took her down to swim, went to check on her and she was gone !! I WASNT READY!
    anyway, I found her again a few days later, and for another month every few days , she would come back to the dock and I would feed her and hold her for an hour or so and 2 more times she came up into the house for awhile... we do have alot of ducks around here and she hooked up with some and flew south for the winter..I loved her more than any pet Ive ever had, we had soo much fun with her and I miss her EVERY single day. so Now I am going to get me a couple of ducks.Im thinkin bout 2 call ducks??? I dont care about the eggs and I dont want babys..yet anyway. so would i be okay with 2 males?? I love this webiste and have learned tons from all of u !!! I am now the crazy duck lady of my neighbor hood.. I am goin to send a couple pics of my girl if I figure it out...[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  2. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

[​IMG]

Congrats on your new duck!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  3. Shadowhills Farm

Shadowhills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Crystal River, Fl
    Awww cute story! I bet she is one lucky duck!

Call Ducks are really cute, but I've noticed when one calls, they all call and it can get noisy!!!

We have 2 Pekin Ducks (1 male, 1 female) 1 Rouen (female), and 2 Cayugas (don't know the sex). Out of all of these, I really like the Rouen the best (although she is my fiancee's and not mine!). She is Hatchery-bred and small for a Rouen, but she has a sweet personality and gets along with everyone.

Good luck on your duck search and let us know what breed you get!

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. What a wonderful relationship you had there, thank you for sharing. So glad to hear you are going to open your heart again and let some other ducks in. You won't be sorry. Good luck in your search.[​IMG]

5. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Wood ducks are THE cutests little things!! There's a little hen at a local park pond that i always feed when shes there... about the prettiest hens i have ever seen. [​IMG] LUCKY!

6. neferset

neferset Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    She is beautiful! I'm sure she will always remember you and one day generations of ducklings later, they will still be passing down the story about their great great great great grandma duck who lived with people.

I don't know that much about duck personalities, I'm afraid. Our ducks are egg laying types and are proving to be a little flighty. I try to hold the Khaki Campbell babies every day, but it doesn't seem to help all that much. We have some Pekin and Pekin mixes in the For pretty, I would think maybe Black East Indies and Welsh Harlequins or some one mallard patterned. I love mallard patterned ducks.

7. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

thanks for the great gramdma part neferset [​IMG] [​IMG]
    its a happy cry....

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by