My first duck

jdyson

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 10, 2013
I have a young duck that I got with 2 pullets when it had fluff and not feathers, lol. I don't know anything about ducks. I'm not going to pretend like I do. How do I incorporate the duck with the older hens. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Congratulations!

It can be done, it is easiest when the duck is female. Drakes can hurt chickens in they try to mate.

Ducks have a different relationship with water than chickens do. You might be best off having the chickens' waterer up a little higher to discourage the duck from using it, and be sure to have a nice deep bucket for drinking, and a kiddie pool or concrete mixing pan for the duck to bathe in.

Have you looked at the stickies? We have tried to put helpful information there. Please keep asking more questions here, though, the Duck Forum has knowledgeable, friendly, and fun people.

Welcome!

What are stickies? I think the little duck is a girl. She is turning a pretty brown with a little purple color on the tips of her wings. Hopefully it's a girl, lol, I already named her.

Do you know her breed or age? If s/he's old enough there are ways of telling their gender.

Will you be housing them together?

welcome-byc.gif
and good luck!

I have no idea how old or what type. I went to a flock swap and saw the woman who had the duck throwing other ducks into a box. When I say throw, I mean throw. And they were older than this one. She said it was a call duck mix but it doesn't look anything like any pics of call ducks I have seen. She also had 2 little chicks with it and the trio is still together now. I will have to house them together or I will have to find them another home. But I could not leave them with her. I don't know if my big girls and roo will take them in. I'm in a pickle :(

Can you post a picture of her? I know nothing about call ducks...I only have Welsh Harlequins. But ducks are different with water than chickens. Messy and muddy. They LOVE making mud holes :) Good luck and read through the stickies posted, they are very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom