my first duckling

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by KristyHall, Mar 22, 2011.

1. KristyHall

KristyHall Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    I never thought I cared much for ducks, but a friend gave me three duck eggs to hatch with my chicken eggs. One egg hatch, and this duckling is adorable.

When I put my hand in with the chicks, it pushes the others out of my hand and sits in my hand. It runs it's beak over my hand and arm and makes soft smacking noises. it follows my hands around and is always watching me while the other chicks eat. I have to leave the room or it won't eat because it spends all it's time watching me unless i have my hand in the bin so it can sit in my hand and eat.

It is a spoiled little guy.

What is the running the bill over my arm mean? Is it an affectionate thing? is it checking me out for food? Is it grooming me? It's adorable is all I know!

It's a shame I agreed to give the duckling back to the friend since I'm not set up for ducks. I do know this. As soon as the pond is complete, I'm building a duck house and raising some ducks.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG]
    That duckling has imprinted on you and sees you as it's mother. Yes you will need to get some ducklings of your own or beg borrow and plead to keep this one. plus that little one needs some siblings. Ducklings are socialable and need other ducklings. Congrats on the hatch..

3. KristyHall

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    Quote:Since it is imprinted does this mean I shouldn't give it back then? How long should I wait before I return the baby then? She doesn't have any ducklings hatched at the moment nor chicks so should I let it spend six weeks with my chicks so it gains some flock socials kills?

4. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    It will likely bond with the chickens and in turn think it's one of them. Not bad if it's a hen, but if it turns out to be a drake you better be ready for him to try raping your chickens. o_O;
    The same thing happened to me, only it was six rooster chicks that thought the duckling was their um... "woman".

5. chimbica88

chimbica88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    Defiantly Get This Little Guy Some Duck Friends!

6. KristyHall

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    ok i'll let her know. she has a mixed flock of ducks guinies and chickens together. she can get a duckling buddy for it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by