My first ducklings are on their way! =D **pics**

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LaynaDon95, Feb 11, 2013.

1. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    I have my first ducklings on their way! (Okay, I had muscovy ducks before that I got as adults and one of the hens hatched babies, but they were hers, not mine. She made a point of reminding me of that regularly.) I have 1 Magpie pullet and 1 Khaki Campbell pullet due on Valentine's Day, along with broilers and laying chicks. I'm SO excited! Does anyone have tips for me? I'm not really worried. They aren't that different from chicks, but I know there are differences. Any tips are appreciated. I'll post pics when they come in. I planned on waiting to post until they got here, but I can't wait that long. I can't wait! [​IMG]

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Glad you didn't wait! [​IMG]

Water management - key. Take a look through the stickies.

Many ducklings need extra niacin, so if you're giving them chick crumbles, you need to add niacin to their water or food.

They grow much faster than chicks do, so you may need to plan for that.

They need to be able to wash their entire heads frequently to prevent eye, sinus and ear infections.

They don't have feather oils at first, so bath time needs to be closely monitored. They can tucker out in just a few minutes. But bath time is really important for good development.

Those are the first things I thought of. Please keep us up to date!

3. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    Water management... Got it. Still trying to figure out how I'm gonna do that.
    One specific question I had, I know they need to wash their heads, so would just a plastic chick waterer work, or do they need something deeper. I know it can't be too deep or they might drown.

I have time release niacin. That won't work though, will it? What if I opened a capsule and sprinkled the little niacin beads over their food? I should probably just get some other form of niacin, huh?

I got a giant tote today to make into a brooder, for plenty of growing room. :) I duckling sat for a friend for a few days and just over the few days I had them they grew like weeds!

No worries on the bathtime! I've been planning out where I'm gonna let them swim as they get bigger. When their really little they'll swim in the kitchen sink, but I don't think my mom will tolerate that for long. [​IMG] Their big duck pool with be brooding meaties and layers for a while, so they'll have to wait for that.

4. megan80568

megan80568 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2013
    Hi. I've been reading around here and in books but still have some questions. I'm looking at getting a pet duck. I have an acre of land, so I understand I need a house for night time and safety from weather. But what about during the day when I'm at work? Can I let it wander the land? I was hoping to get one female of a breed that is good for beginners for eggs. Do I need more then one? Or could I get it like a rabbit for a friend? Thanks for the help.

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]I would get a couple of friends. Trios seem to work well. Romy and Shelly were BFF buffs, and when Shel died it was very hard on Romy, even though there were the runners, but the breeds in my flock seem to be really two subflocks. Now that we have Bean, Hazel and Carmella, Romy is much happier.

I have a Day Pen, a 10x16 ft pen that's about a meter high and has fence top, bottom and sides (double-fence, with one inch coated chicken wire the bottom two feet on the side to prevent grabbing through the fence). That's often where mine are during the day (sometimes they're in the basement-barn shelter, which is about 100 sf with a 9 foot wide window on one wall, so it's not dingy and dark).

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  6. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    I would definitely get at least 2 ducks. They are very social creatures and one would be very sad while you're away without a friend. I wouldn't recommend a rabbit. A chicken would be okay if you're looking for another animal besides another duck. I have a rabbit that roams the back field with the chickens and the chickens do not like her at all.
    As far as lettering your duck roam the land, that totally depends on where you live and how many predators you have. I live near town, in a fairly residential area, but we still have foxes, hawks, neighborhood dogs, coyotes, etc. I lost a large portion of my flock in August when 5 neighborhood dogs came and attacked my chickens. It was very sad. I'm home all day most days, so I let my birds free range, but if you are going to be at work a lot I would build your duck(s) a run. This may be a good place for you to look.

7. megan80568

Feb 11, 2013

Thanks all from the responses. What do u recommend for a friendly, small, egg laying, quiet breed to start with.

8. megan80568

Feb 11, 2013

Thanks all from the responses. What do u recommend for a friendly, small, egg laying, quiet breed to start with.

9. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I don't think small and quiet go together in the duck world. [​IMG]

The only quiet breed are muscovy and the females don't get very big but are seasonal layers so eggs depend on where you live. Any breed can be friendly if interacted with often.

10. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Yep! those little call ducks are sooooooo adorable but what they lack in size they make up for in noise. So i agree, the Muscovy girl is the only true duck on the quiet end of the range. They are not that big, i have some who truly are just an armful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by