My first ducklings & I am so in love

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lovesgliders, Jun 26, 2011.

1. lovesgliders

lovesgliders Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Maine
    They are such darlings and have bonded to me so strongly already; if they can't see me they cheep at the top of their little lungs until I come back. [​IMG] I just love them!

[​IMG]
    Splish, Splash by Just In Luv, on Flickr

After my Silkies were such a disappointing experience (got Silkies because I was told how sweet and gentle they are, but they are terrified of me, their own shadows, the treat can... everything...) it's wonderful to have these little ones that are so friendly.

Plans for the Ultimate Duck Habitat have begun! Is anyone else ever struck by the irony of building a $1k pond and enclosure for a critter that cost five bucks? Because my husband sure is. LOL

2. bt03

bt03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Over the rainbow...
    you should probably stay away from this forum... or you will want even more ducks! [​IMG] They are the best pets and so much better than chickens (except my Suzie chicken, she rocks to) the have such huge personalities and are just so.... ducky! Your new babies are beautiful [​IMG] Enjoy them while they are little because they grow super fast.

3. FiascoFarmer

FiascoFarmer Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2011
    Farmington, NH
    Quote:OH GREAT!!! I just read this post to my DW and the response was" OH NO!!!!!!!" She is getting insanely attached to our chickens who don't have really much personality to speak of.

I raise and breed all of my animals for food, keeping breeders to keep the flocks going. We have never had ducks before and she loves duck meat, but I fear her attachment will make us have MORE PETS!! I , on the other hand, have no problem playing with my animals then bringing them to the "cone" right after. I LOVE my animals, but completely understand their place in our family's lives.

Can't wait to get our ducks though.

4. JaciBlue

JaciBlue Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2011
    New Orleans
    Enjoy this age.... My Ruthie is a about 7 weeks now and she's sooooo big. They grow so fast!!

5. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Oh, I love that photo with the one with his head turned back, lol.

6. lovesgliders

lovesgliders Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Maine
    Quote:OH GREAT!!! I just read this post to my DW and the response was" OH NO!!!!!!!" She is getting insanely attached to our chickens who don't have really much personality to speak of.

I raise and breed all of my animals for food, keeping breeders to keep the flocks going. We have never had ducks before and she loves duck meat, but I fear her attachment will make us have MORE PETS!! I , on the other hand, have no problem playing with my animals then bringing them to the "cone" right after. I LOVE my animals, but completely understand their place in our family's lives.

Can't wait to get our ducks though.

I gotta say, I could slaughter my chickens tomorrow and not lose any sleep over it. They are THAT terrified of me and that lacking in personality. As it is, if they don't lay well (and, you know, they're Silkies so I'm not expecting much) they are going to have to go; I'm not going to eat them but I got chickens for pets/eggs and since they are so lacking in the pet department, they gotta lay or they gotta go.

I've gone ahead and ordered some notoriously better layers to flesh out the flock, hoping they'll be a little nicer but at least if they aren't we'll be getting eggs.

The ducks have turned me vegetarian, though. They are THAT special and sweet and awesome. I watched a documentary on duck slaughterhouses and cried and cried... kudos to you for humanely raising your own meat and giving it such a nice life. If I had the facilities (or knew someone with the facilities) that did that I would still eat meat, but since I can't, vegetarian is the next best option for me. With delicious eggies, I don't think it'll be that hard. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by