My first ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by needlessjunk, Aug 7, 2014.

1. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    So we ended up with 2 unknown breed ducklings today that are 2 weeks old. I was planning on waiting till fall but this was the last hatch till next year from Ideal and the last 2 at the feed store. She wanted them gone so it was a 2 in 1 deal. Sweet!

Now I need a little help. I'm thinking I have Peking ducklings. What do y'all think? Also they are in the garage right now. It stays warms but not baking all day and night. It feels about the same as the feed store and they weren't under any lights there. I'm in central TX and it's suppose to be a high of 100 and a low of 76-78 all week. Shod I bring them inside with the ac and put a lamp on them? They seem to be doing alright but are super nervous right now and start panting. I can't tell if it's nerves or heat. I will go sit with them a while and see if they calm down.

My next big problem is the chicken waterer that the feed store recommended sucks and makes a huge mess even when I put rocks in it. So I made my own with a hole cut out of an old plastic jar. I'm scared they don't know how to drink out of it since I haven't seen any water anywhere. I have their food in a bowl with a rock in the bottom to keep them from knocking it over. The feed store recommended flock starter and I got a small bag. The book I got from the library about ducks isn't helpful at all. I'm returning it and going to see what else they have. I'm trying to go through the sticky too and get as much info as possible. [​IMG][/IMG]

2. needlessjunk

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    [​IMG]

3. khawdashhtchngs

khawdashhtchngs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2014
    Yukon, Oklahoma
    As long as they have shade and cool water to get in outside they should be fine in those temperatures. If they don't have water to get into that's cool I wouldn't leave them out. Try dipping their beaks in the water thing you made and showing them that that's where the water is.

4. needlessjunk

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    We made it through the night! I ended up leaving the garage light on all night since they were much happier with it. I checked on them a few times and they were doing well. Sometime between 1-6 they ate all their food and moved their waterer all over the place. I was sacred they were getting enough water and placed a small open container with some rocks on it. They used that too. I did dunk their heads in their now waterer so maybe that helped. I forgot to add that my garage stays about 90 all day and drops to the high 80s in the early mornings. They seem to be happy with the temp.

5. DUCKOBSESSED

DUCKOBSESSED Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    I think they are pekins. Very cute.

6. featheredfashions

featheredfashions Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    Florida
    Congrats on the ducks!![​IMG]non medicated chick starter is what we used with ours. And you don't want them to overheat. They should find the water just fine. As long as they can get to it they should be ok. I would bring them inside personally. We had ours inside the house in a tote with a blanket partially over the top while they we small. They sleep in large plastic dog kennels at night now that they are grown. Are they going to be house ducks?

7. needlessjunk

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    They are going to be backyard ducks and I hope that at least one is a female. I really want some eggs! But they will be pets to a degree. They are technically my older sons ducks but he isn't even 4 yet so they are mine :) I just got back from lowes and have to start on the house and outside run for them. I am scared to see how my dogs will react with them in the yard. I am going to be putting up excellent fencing first then do a meet and greet with the fence in between. Surprisingly my coonhound isn't really interested but she never chases the geese at the park. My basset is too short to see in the brooder but she hears them and my beagle is way, way, way too interested.

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711
    Never ever let your guard down with your dogs. even after meet and greet. Your ducklings are adorable be sure to post pics as the grow and also house and run, it helps others that are just starting out. good info.. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by