1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My first EE egg is getting closer!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickenpoor, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Chickenpoor

Chickenpoor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2011
    Westminster, SC
    I just went out to spend some time with my EE girls. When I reached to pet one of them she squatted and spread her wings out a little like they do when a rooster is mating with them. A few of the others did it when I reached to pet them as well, this can only mean one thing.........I'm close to to getting my very first EE egg. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

How long after the squat did it take your EE's to lay? I know it varies from hen to hen I just want to get a guestimate as to one I might get my first one. [​IMG]

2. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Oooh, wonder what color it'll be? [​IMG]

Could be any day now, or a couple of weeks...hard to say, but pre-congrats on the upcoming eggs!

3. Chickenpoor

Jan 3, 2011
    Westminster, SC
    Thanks, I hope its blue or green.

4. louclare

louclare Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2011
    same thing happened with us today. can't wait [​IMG]

5. Chickenpoor

Jan 3, 2011
    Westminster, SC
    Update: The day that a few of the EE's squatted I went out that afternoon and put a temporary nest box in the cage for them. Well this morning when I went out to give them fresh water I dont know which one/ones had done it but the hay and fake nest eggs I had in the box had been scratched around and moved.........the first egg is getting closer.

6. leeyuh

leeyuh Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    Central TX
    I'm unfamiliar with "the squat." Mine hardly lets me near her.

However, we have a flock of 8. Now, at 18 weeks, she is the first to lay.

Her first egg was a beautiful green double yolk egg [​IMG] You have a lot to look forward to!

7. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Oooohhh... How exciting!!! I've got a lot longer to wait... But I'm sure it'll be worth it!

Let us know when it really happens!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  8. boxedcow

boxedcow Out Of The Brooder

How old is she? Just curious as I have one I'm playing the waiting game with as well.

9. Chickenpoor

Jan 3, 2011
    Westminster, SC
    Quote:I will, that is after I calm my self down enough to be able to type lol. I'm sure that I will be very excited especially with the added excitement of not knowing what color I will get.

10. Truscifi

Truscifi Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    Does the scratching around in the nest box mean it is getting close? Several of my girls have been doing this, for the past week, but no eggs yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by