My first EE egg!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jenikate, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Jenikate

Jenikate Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    New Hampshire
    I have 7 girls that I have had since 1 day old. Got my first EE egg today! It is such a pretty blue! I have been waiting for this for 24 weeks!!!!!!

[​IMG]

2. Simmonsfunnyfrm

Simmonsfunnyfrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2012
    Pope County, Arkansas
    Congratulations! It sure is a beauty! You should post on the EE's eggs: who laid what thread. Where did you get your girl and what does she look like? I have 5 EE girls from Cackle Hatchery. 2 are laying, and they lay a beautiful vibrant green color. Hoping at least one of the remaining 3 lay blue!

3. Jenikate

Apr 22, 2012
    New Hampshire
    Not sure which girl laid it but I know it is one of two. Either this one...[​IMG]
    or this one.....

[​IMG]
    The only reason I say that is because I checked for eggs (none) and was cleaning out the poop board tray... these two would not stay out of the coop. After I finished and went to rake out the run, they stayed in there. Then I went immediately to clean/ freshen the nesting boxes and the egg was there, still steaming hot ;)

I got my girls from a local breeder/Backyard chicken keeper. Her 12 yr old daughter breeds and raises them as a 4H project. She had beautiful bird and showed me the shells which were gorgeous...though I knew that may have nothing to do with the egg color they will lay, but I was hopeful ;)

Im not familiar with the thread you were talking about...do you have a link to it?

4. Simmonsfunnyfrm

Jun 11, 2012
    Pope County, Arkansas
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  5. Jenikate

Apr 22, 2012
    New Hampshire
    Thank you for the link, I just posted there!
    Also, I should not that those pics are not up to date...they both have BIG RED combs now..actually, all my girls do...any day now I hope to find more than one at a time!

6. Simmonsfunnyfrm

Jun 11, 2012
    Pope County, Arkansas
    Oh, I see [​IMG] I did think her comb was awful small to be laying lol but I've seen stranger...

7. Jenikate

Apr 22, 2012
    New Hampshire
    Well one of my other EE's laid her f irst egg this morning and this one was just a cream color... More like a very very pale tan. Interestingly though this one has a much different comb than the other three. I wouldn't really say it's a single comb but it's nowhere near as prominent and "Bulbous"as the rose comb on the other three. I had read somewhere that a single comb is more likely to lay cream for brown colored eggs.... Wonder if there's any truth in that?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  8. Simmonsfunnyfrm

Jun 11, 2012
    Pope County, Arkansas
    I have read that the pea comb gene and the colored egg gene are very close on the same chromosome, so they are often inherited together. So far it's held true for me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by