my first EGG from one of my 6 RIR's

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by flewdacoop, Oct 11, 2012.

1. flewdacoop

flewdacoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2012
    CARLYSS LOUISIANA
    Our first egg from one of the 6 Rhode Island Reds.. and i have 6 more that should start some time next month.. so excited just cant hide it..[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Congrats! [​IMG]

3. flewdacoop

Jun 9, 2012
    CARLYSS LOUISIANA
    Thanks raised them from day old chicks and the things I have learned on the way

4. farmerfogg

farmerfogg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2012
    Richmond, VA
    Nice egg! You're going to have tons of eggs before you know it! I have 4 hens currently laying eggs. Two Leghorns and 2 Rhode Island Reds. They all lay an egg a day?! By the end of the week, I usually collect about 28 eggs! :weee Have fun! :)

1 person likes this.
  5. flewdacoop

Jun 9, 2012
    CARLYSS LOUISIANA
    Is it common to get one egg then nothing the next day

6. DianaMallory

DianaMallory Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    Lancaster Ohio
    Yes it is normal. Takes them a week or two to get the hang of it. Congrats! I remember that feeling of getting my first egg, my husband said I acted so proud that you would have thought I laid the egg~![​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. flewdacoop

Jun 9, 2012
    CARLYSS LOUISIANA
    a friend of mine said the same thing. trying to teach my kids you can grow and raise your own food, and when time gets tuff and people cant afford the cost of store bought eggs they can get them from us. They said that means we are helping the community then, i said i guess your right never thought of it like that...two days now and still no more eggs, i think i check it like 10 times a day. they are all starting to make chicken song sounds now and going and messing up the hay in there nesting boxes.. go three of them that go in the nest boxes a couple times durring the day but no egg.. so i will post when i get the next one...thanks and GOD BLESS

8. Melabella

Melabella Overrun With Chickens

Jun 2, 2011
    Oh Congratulations!!

Your hens "thank you" for taking good care of them! I'm envious! My girls are only 12 weeks old, I have a while to wait!

Keep us posted!

MB

9. Grats ! I remember when I got my first egg this year. It was from a cochin, the girl made me think one of the BRs had a funky egg ! At first I was like, "LOL, a fart egg, better not lay one of 'em tomorrow", I caught on tho because I got on the next day and the next day I saw her in the nest box, LOL

10. wastintime202

wastintime202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Congrats ! [​IMG] It is so fun to get first egg from them..I am waiting on three that are 21 wks tomorrow..like you I check 10 times a day because I sure don't want to miss it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by