1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My first egg I'm so proud :)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LovinMyPeeps, Oct 29, 2009.

1. LovinMyPeeps

LovinMyPeeps Sees Wine Dots

Mar 22, 2009
    Heuvelton, NY
    My most mature barred rock hen finally gave me an egg! I'm so excited [​IMG] Not bad for her first time. A little small, but hey, I'm not complaining!!! I'm such a proud chicken mom!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Hornetkc5

Hornetkc5 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2009
    Oakwood
    [​IMG] Good Job ! lol made me check the boxes more and more...Then I added more hens for more eggs! I holding at 14 seems to be what I can afford!

3. NewHobbyForMe

NewHobbyForMe Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Missouri
    Nice egg for a beginner. Just wondering how old is she?? I have four RIR's that are going to be five months old. Should I put a fake egg (like a plastic egg) in their nest?? I'm getting very excited to get my first egg.

Thank you for any help.

4. LovinMyPeeps

Mar 22, 2009
    Heuvelton, NY
    I have golfballs in the nest boxes.

5. kathleengp

kathleengp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    I took the golf balls out of the nests and even blocked off the nests cause everyone was just pooping on it.....I want an egg!!!! Come on Girls!!!! (21-22 weeks, Red Stars, cochins and a silkie)

6. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

That's a pretty egg you've got there! Congrats!! [​IMG]

7. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    :)yeah ! such a good feeling eh! congrats!!!

8. cluck-addict

cluck-addict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    MN
    we got our first egg at exactly 20 weeks. Then nothing for a whole week. Then a few more started dribbling in here and there.

13 girls are of laying age. I am getting 4 a day right now at 23 weeks. I have a barnyard mix. Lakenvelder, cuckoo marans(gorgeous eggs!!!!!), bantam EEs, bantam cochins, andalusian, buttercup

Now the fun really begins!

9. LovinMyPeeps

Mar 22, 2009
    Heuvelton, NY
    Yah I'm 25 weeks in and have 2 eggs from 6 hens LOL. Had one soft shelled egg that looked like a soft serve icecream cone.

10. blessedchickenmama7

blessedchickenmama7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Western NC
    Congrats on your first egg! I got one last Sunday and nothing since. I have six girls, all around 29-31 weeks. Late bloomers. But at least they are starting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by