My first egg made me cry...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Uzuri, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Partly because it's so perfect and small, but mostly because I found it just after I moved my coop and the wheels fell off again, this time damaging the coop.

So now I don't know what I'm going to do with the chickens, and one goes and reminds me that I have an obligation to keep them safe and well with nowhere to keep them and no money to make a new home with [​IMG]

I need to sit down and have a good bawl.

Edit: read down for some happier resolution...

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  2. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    see if your town has a recycle/freecycle web site. Tell them what you need or ask for ideas that could help, You may be really surprised! Good luck.

3. Critter Crazed

Critter Crazed Chicken Cuddlin' Cheesehead

Jun 22, 2009
    Do you have a dog crate or something you can keep them in until you find money to build them a coop? I'm sure they'd be just fine in a dog crate for a while.

I'm sorry. [​IMG]

4. Uzuri

Mar 25, 2009
    I'm feeling much better now [​IMG] My Dad is mister fix-it, and he convinced me that things weren't as bad as they looked. I went out and bought $10 worth of fixin's and he fixed it [​IMG]

So I can be happy about my egg now.

Though I still rather dread next moving day. Maybe I won't risk it again until spring, though the chickens just seem so much happier on grass.

5. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    [​IMG] Congrats [​IMG]

6. 3goodeggs

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    I am happy for you. I am glad that it worked out. Hurray for dad!

7. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe over the winter you can make yourself a second tractor for moving the chooks and leave this one in place? Sounds like you're gaining skills and every time you try something new, you gain more! [​IMG]

8. Uzuri

Mar 25, 2009
    That's what I'm probably going to do [​IMG] I'm thinking I'm going to get that one situated by the garden and start building a chicken moat about 50 feet at a time when I have the money -- wish I'd have known about them before, I'd have probably done that from the start! If I do that, I can just keep the run portion of my setup as a "tractor" and toss the chickens in whenever we have an area that we'd like them to take care of and bring them in nights.

9. 3goodeggs

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    I am glad you are feeling better about it all![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by