My First Egg! Now to figure out who done it:)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CurtisM, Aug 22, 2010.

1. CurtisM

CurtisM New Egg

Jul 14, 2010
    Edna, KS
    Got home tonight at midnight and checked the ladies and found a small pale brown egg in their nest! Now to figure out who laid it.

I have 7 chickens and so far none has crowed but do have one noisy Australorp. The ladies are as follows:

2 Australorp

2 Buff Orpington

2 Red Star

1 Golden Laced Wyandotte

The Combs on the Australorp and Red Star's have grown out and are pretty soft.

They were born on April 15 so they are just over 20 weeks old. Anyone care to comment on which one laid the egg? Thanks!

Curtis

2. Annabella

Annabella Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    Curtis, I think it might be close your eyes, turn around and point - and whoever it is your pointing out is the layer!!! [​IMG]

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Who has the tallest or reddest comb? That's a starter to look for. Next would be, does anyone have a rump of fluff that looks slightly disturbed? Look at their butts, and look for any pullet with fluff that looks like something tried passing through, and disturbed the perfect symmetry in the fluff. Sounds weird, but it works. The third thing is, if it is a pale brown egg it is likely your Sex Links (Red Star) or Wyandotte.

4. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Do any of them "squat" when you get close to them or try to catch them? Which bird has suddenly started making loud sounds within the past couple of weeks? As someone earlier said, reddest comb? I love a good mystery. [​IMG]

5. CurtisM

CurtisM New Egg

Jul 14, 2010
    Edna, KS
    Thanks for the replies,

Hmm Gallo the Australorp that started being noisy a week ago, also has a nice red comb, squats when I try to pick her up instead of running off. I just figured the chicken was working up to crowing and I had a rooster.[​IMG]

I got a little bigger egg this morning, a nice brown color to.

Had the best eggs I ever tasted for breakfast, hmm maybe because they came from my chickens![​IMG]

Curtis

6. LarrySC

LarrySC Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2010
    congrats on the big day.. That's so cool.

7. CurtisM

CurtisM New Egg

Jul 14, 2010
    Edna, KS
    Gallo,

Just checked your page, wonder coop design and run, gave me some great ideas. thanks.

Curtis

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by