My first egg pipped! UPDATE...IT HATCHED!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by amynbrent, Jul 28, 2011.

1. amynbrent

amynbrent Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Dryden, MI
    This is so beyond exciting. My husband who accepted my 40 chickens as my new babies and new pets now thinks I've gone totally insane over an egg. We're done with having kids so this is the next best thing. I have been watching and caring for the mommy hen who insists on sitting on eggs. I was on vacation when she claimed two so I candled them when we got back and they were good so I let her keep them. The date has always been an issue but today.....a pip. I know it still can take along time but I hope it goes quick. We have not had rain in over a month and my plan was to keep the other chickens outside but it's pouring and they really dont care to be out there. So I'm going to have to constantly check. I have another one that will be a few days behind. Wouldnt you know it the other hen laid and now she is on that. I cant wait for progress so I can take pictures. I just dont want to disturb the mom!

** I got busy during the day so I stopped my hourly check. I went out there at 9:00 and mommy was facing the back of the nest box so I knew something was up. I moved her a little and out came the shell. I about died because I couldnt hear any peeping then out came baby and it looked like one you would buy at the store. It's tiny it's a d'uccle and has long fur. Will post pics soon. I have to send them from my phone to home address and there is usually a day delay. I got an awesome pic of the baby and mommy posing together. This is so exciting!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  2. amynbrent

Mar 15, 2011
    Dryden, MI
    It's been a couple hours, still no change. It's just moving around and you can hear it chirping inside. I soooooooooooo cant wait!

3. Pookie_Momma

Pookie_Momma Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2011
    Tacoma, Washington
    Congrats [​IMG] I know the feeling when my first egg pipped! I went running through the house to wake my daughter who is my excited partner in this. both our noses were almost glued to the bator with anticipation....

We are doing it again...... going into lockdown tonight...

[​IMG]:thumbsup [​IMG]

4. Ann Lotten

Ann Lotten Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    Grass Valley, CA
    It's a very exciting time! When eggs are pipping I start reciting the old Mervyn's bi-annual commercial, "Open, Open, Open." I get all giggly like a kid! So much fun! [​IMG]:weee:celebrate

5. amynbrent

Mar 15, 2011
    Dryden, MI
    I cant stand the wait....it was 8:00 this morning that I saw it. I keep checking every hour on the hour so I just went out and the mom was off it eating so I snuck a peek. Still no zip, it's just rolling around and you can hear it chirping. I it comes out before I go to bed tonight or I will not be able to sleep...I'll have to take a xanx or something! [​IMG]

6. builderone

builderone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    Sounds like fun I am close to this moment and excited also. I never would have guessed myself to get this excited. lol My daughter is beside herself waiting lol. Good luck.
    Chad

7. amynbrent

Mar 15, 2011
    Dryden, MI
    Ok, it's been 7 hours since I found the pip. Nothing more. I know to be patient but it's soooooooooooo hard. I checked on it at 3:00 and now a piece of the shell that was real raised has broken off and you can see the membrane. The little tyke is really moving around and you can really hear it peeping. I heard it can take the entire day....and into tomorrow...seriously? I handled giving birth to four children better than I'm dealing with this!!!

8. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    This happened to me yesterday! First egg is done, the second one is pipping... wow, the wait is hard, isnt it/?

9. amynbrent

Mar 15, 2011
    Dryden, MI
    Cant I just bring the egg inside now that things are moving and put it under a heat lamp? I'm sure it's risky but I have to keep it safe from the others. This entire chicken raising is new this spring, I was told "alot of chicks will die"...none died. I was told "you will get alot of roosters" ...out of 40, I got 6. This mommy and daddy I got from a friend and they are a little over a year old and I wasnt going to hatch until next spring...that changed.....SO STRESSFUL BEING A CHICKEN MOM!!!!!

4:00 and a bigger crack...it looks like it's starting to zip. WOO HOO!!! I'm not checking until 6:00

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  10. Ann Lotten

Ann Lotten Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2011
    Grass Valley, CA
    Update? Did the little one join the world ok? I hope so! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by