My first egg story!! And it's beautiful!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by spacecowgirl, Aug 9, 2011.

1. spacecowgirl

spacecowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Brownie laid today!!! [​IMG] At about 4 1/2 months!
    I just knew she was about to do it, too...She snuck in the house early in the day ( the back door doesn't latch well ) and was snooping around in my closets, under beds, etc. I thought that was a little bizarre because usually when she breaks in she's all about begging her humans for treats.[​IMG] I took her back outside. Later, I needed to make a trip to the store so went out to check on all four chickens before I left.
    As soon as I entered the run Brownie jumped up in the coop and started scratching around in the corner, laying down, and making wierd cooing noises. She never does that, either...she's always the first to run up to me. So I thought, "today's the day!"
    Yesterday I posted about quick, temporary, homemade nest boxes and got back lots of great ideas. I'm glad I did, because I realized she probably needed one, stat!! I grabbed a beer box and cut off one side and the top, padded it with lots of pine straw and put it in the coop. Needless to say, she didn't use the box, but when I got home from the store I didn't waste any time going to check on her.
    And what do I find to my utter amazement? A perfectly shaped, beautifully pink/brown, coral colored egg, and Brownie, strutting around it like, "yep, I did that!" Whooooohoooooo!!!!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]:celebrate [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'm so excited I don't even think I can eat it!! I just want to sit around and admire it.[​IMG][​IMG]:love
    I'm so proud of her. Of course she got extra special treats after that. [​IMG]

2. danielkbrantley

danielkbrantley Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    Ha! Great story. And happy day!

3. SilkieChickenLover336

SilkieChickenLover336 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    Blow it out and keep it!!

4. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Very cute. I hope you took a picture of that first egg..... lol.

5. tryingtohaveitall

tryingtohaveitall Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Congrats! It is exciting, isn't it? We got our 1st from our spring chickens and I can't stop peeking at it. [​IMG]

6. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    [​IMG] Congratulations!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. spacecowgirl

Jul 30, 2011
    Quote:How do I do that???? I'm all for it!!!

8. Kaeta44

Kaeta44 Chillin' With My Peeps

9. spacecowgirl

Jul 30, 2011
    Quote:Thank you!!!!

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]