My first egg today.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by thehbcrew, Sep 20, 2011.

1. thehbcrew

thehbcrew Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2011
    Long Island
    Got my first egg today, only one of my hens is squatting so i assume it came from her
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  2. jesus freak

jesus freak Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2011
    Idaho
    [​IMG] congrats!

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Impressive! It's a good sign your hen is happy and healthy. Perfect first egg.[​IMG]

4. pooh731

pooh731 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Hanford, ca
    [​IMG] yeah...looks yummy [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  5. thehbcrew

thehbcrew Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2011
    Long Island
    So today would have been my second egg, however the egg was soft and broken when i found it. I assume that might be a normal thing when they start laying. However i found the egg underneath the roost. Almost as if she layed it while she was roosting. That happen to anyone else, i have oyster shells in there, i am assuming they know to eat them. I kind of feel like she may have pushed it out by accident if thats even possible.

6. top of the hill

top of the hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Connecticut
    Quote:It hasn't happened to me yet, but I hear it is pretty normal when they first start laying to have a few soft shells. Not sure about pushing it out by accident... hopefully someone will reply with a similiar experience.

7. greensandjeans

greensandjeans Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2011
    We had two hens start laying last week. One laid on Monday and then not again until Saturday. In the mean time we found a few eggs without shells under the roost. Since then she's been regular with eggs with shells every day. We even got a double yoker from her yesterday!

I wouldn't worry about the one you found under the roost. Her egg laying systems are still getting things in order.

8. gavinandallison

gavinandallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Matthews, NC.
    Congratulations!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by