My first EGG!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChicknThief, Jan 17, 2008.

1. ChicknThief

ChicknThief Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    Well, from this chicken anyway!! My Rhode Island Red Chicken Little layed an egg right smack in the middle of the lawn today!!! I was inside, but my little sister saw it. Unfortunately on her way to show us she accidently dropped it!! [​IMG] But here is the kicker.... It was FERTILE!!! It had the bullseye and everything! So we are going to set tomorrows egg to see what we get! Imagine it, a black frizzle banty cochin crossed with a RIR standard!! [​IMG] I cant wait!

2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

EGG-cellent! [​IMG]

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Yayyyy on the first egg!

You really do not want to try and hatch the first pullet eggs even if they are fertile. Usually the shell is too small for the chicks to fully develop without problems and as the egg plumbing is just starting up the eggs may not be the best for hatching.

4. ChicknThief

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    Oh. [​IMG] We are going to be getting rid of our roo here pretty quick and we were hoping to get a chick out of him first... well,... I was hoping anyway, LOL. Oh well...

5. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    How long do you normally wait before trying to hatch eggs? This was a momentous day because all the eggs we have gotten up to this point have either been from Butterscotch the rescue chicken or The beautiful Salmon Favs from the show last weekend. So this was the first egg from OUR chicks we raised from day olds. We also have several others that should be laying here really quickly, so YEAH!!

6. JenniferJoIN

JenniferJoIN Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Congrats on the first egg!

7. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

We've been getting a few first eggs, not sure WHO the heck is laying them but [​IMG]

8. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Hey, I got my first egg today too. How old are your girls?

Ellie

9. ChicknThief

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    I want to say that Chicken Little is pushing 25 weeks... She is in the nesting box right now bawk bawking her precious little head off!!!

10. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    Congrats on your first egg! Wish I had a lawn for mine to lay their eggs in - we have snow and temp is in the teens today. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by