My first egg!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DufferChick, Nov 16, 2013.

1. DufferChick

DufferChick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2013
    Waterford, VA
    It seems late in the year, but todayI discovered a nice beautiful egg in one of the nest boxes. My hen was making strange noises this morning, almost like she was trying to crow or something. Since that hen ( light brahma) was only a few months old AND since we are getting less than 12 hours of daylight in November, I was not expecting eggs. I was under the impression that we needed to add light in the coop to keep layers laying. I have two light brahma pullets. Maybe I will find more eggs. Should I expect that they will stop laying during winter? I am not lighting the coop.

I am learning so much from the BYC online community! I read threads from the forums everyday. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  2. Kernel Cluck

Kernel Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Congrats on your first egg! Production does slow down significantly in the winter. You can help pick it up a bit by giving then supplemental lighting. Welcome to BYC from Wisconsin

3. DufferChick

DufferChick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2013
    Waterford, VA
    I may go ahead and add the supplemental lighting. I need to run electricity out to the coop anyway to keep the water from freezing. I hadn't planned on lighting until today. Would love to keep getting the eggs. Thx for the encouragement.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by