My First Egg!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dsbailey70, Aug 14, 2014.

1. dsbailey70

dsbailey70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2014
    Nederland, Texas
    I bought two Partridge Silkies this afternoon. One is a little over a year old, and the other is about 2. When I got them home, I had to finish cleaning up their coop, so I put them in a dog kennel in the front yard. I checked on them after about 30 minutes, and the younger one was singing the Egg Song. When I came back to move them, so I could mow where they were, I found my First Egg! Now the older one is singing too :). How can I wash or clean the egg, to remove the poop?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  2. Congratulations! You can scrub it with water, just make sure to dry it off well.

- BantamLover55

3. dsbailey70

Jul 7, 2014
    Nederland, Texas
    Thank you! Ok, will do (no soap, Dawn, etc?).

4. KamenkerFarm

KamenkerFarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2014
    From what I've read ( on forums here) you use warm water and nothing else, you can get an egg wash at the tsc but I hear it is unnecessary. You use warm water so that the pores in the egg shell don't close and force germs into the egg. I'm new to chickens so maybe someone with more experience can chime in but that's what I do to my eggs ,but only right before I use them or put them in the fridge. Also if I'm refrigerating them I make sure they are dry before I put them in the fridge.

5. dsbailey70

Jul 7, 2014
    Nederland, Texas
    I used warm water, and a folded-over paper towel...worked like a charm :)

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Use lots of running water warmer than the egg to avoid 'pushing' germs in to egg, rubbing with your hands/fingers over the whole surface of egg.

If you wash an egg, let dry thoroughly then refrigerate.

Clean eggs out of the nest can be stored at room temperature, washed eggs should be refrigerated.

Oh Congrats!!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by