my first eggs!! who laid them?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jgoodin, Aug 20, 2014.

1. jgoodin

jgoodin Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2014
    el Paso tx
    [​IMG].
    I got my very first flock 3 days ago and this morning I found this!! They were very small slightly differently colored eggs. Could they have been hatched by the same hen? I don't think it was one of these gals.
    [​IMG].
    They are supposed to be adult rir but thanks to this community I've realized they're rsl. I'm expecting bigger eggs out of them, So that leaves one of these gals.
    [​IMG].
    I was told they were 4 month old barred rock hatchmates. To me the barred hens look very different and I suspect they're actually different ages. One is definitely bigger than the other one and has redder bigger comb and wattles. The white hen could be a roo because it's smaller framed than the others but has a bigger comb and wattles. In spite of her "cocky" personality big red and reba still pick on her.

2. jgoodin

Aug 17, 2014
    el Paso tx
    Here's another few shots of the possible culprits, who do y'all think is most likely to be my little layer.
    [​IMG].
    [​IMG],
    [​IMG],
    [​IMG]

3. jgoodin

Aug 17, 2014
    el Paso tx
    Don't laugh, but do chickens always lay the same colored eggs- or can they vary in shades of brown?

4. mamadawn

mamadawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2013
    Utah
    They do vary quite a bit. It takes a while for everything to come on line and regulate. As you figure out who us laying what, you'll see more consistency as your hens mature. With my pullets I try to be around and see who is laying what and where- I mark the egg and can over a few weeks somewhat see maturity happening- then we have Omelets!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  5. chasiekitten12

chasiekitten12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2014
    they can vary different shades of brown green red creme and white and i would say it was a plymouth rock

6. amber757

amber757 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2014
    Poquoson, Virginia
    I thought Barred Rocks lay white eggs?!?

7. jgoodin

Aug 17, 2014
    el Paso tx
    thank you! My eggs looked slightly different but were very similar in size. :-(no eggs this morning-yet.

8. jgoodin

Aug 17, 2014
    el Paso tx
    you know, I just don't know! If they do then it would have to be one of my rsl gals-but I would think they lay bigger eggs.

9. jgoodin

Aug 17, 2014
    el Paso tx
    , I hope so! I'm really hoping one of my barred pullets is responsible I'm going to try to hang out with them and see if I can figure this out.

10. chasiekitten12

chasiekitten12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2014
    i have none yet but SOOOOOOOOO much research shows that they will lay other shades

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by