My First Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Belinda's Funny Farm, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Belinda's Funny Farm

Belinda's Funny Farm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2010
    Texas
    Yipee! [​IMG] I just got my first egg and in the nest box too! [​IMG] [​IMG] What a Chicken!!!!!!!!!! She is a Delaware and is 20 weeks old exactly today! [​IMG]D I will add photos of "the egg" tomorrow!

Question though! [​IMG] She pushed away all the shavings and laid the egg on the wooden bottom. I did not have a wooden egg in the box she laid the egg in so I put some of the shavings back in the bottom under the "egg" ( I feel like removing it and bronzing it) and left the egg hoping that the other 4 girls will follow her and lay some eggs tomorrow since there was already an egg in the nest. Is it normal for them to lay eggs on wood? Regardless, I am just ecstatic that she had the egg in the box. I just finished the nest boxes yesterday. I was planning on getting some wooden eggs this week. I think I still will so they will always know where to lay the eggs.

2. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    yippee for you:thumbsup [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    my smileys arent working

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  3. our 5 chickie babies

our 5 chickie babies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Hello and congrats!!![​IMG] We are still waiting but our babies are only 14 weeks so we probably still have a little wait...

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

My very first egg from each pullet was preserved by being blown (you know, piercing the shell at both ends and blowing the contents out). I saved 'em all. I haven't done the latest two YET, because one is a bantam's egg and it's just so cute and I need two more to make ONE regular sized egg.... unless, of course, I mix it with other eggs....

Anyway, bronze away! But blowing and shellacking each egg is one method of preserving those first eggs.

5. Belinda's Funny Farm

Jun 9, 2010
    Texas
    Thanks! I feel like a proud mommy again! [​IMG] I'm so excited for morning so I can go out and check to see if the others have started laying but I think there is only one other one that is about ready. The other 3 don't act like they are close yet. I need to hurry and get those wooden eggs. [​IMG]

What kind of chickens do you have? They may start to lay sooner than mine.

6. Belinda's Funny Farm

Jun 9, 2010
    Texas
    Good idea Linda! [​IMG] I haven't blown an egg since I was a kid. That will be fun and I can keep the first egg from all my girls, but I think this one will be most special.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by