My first ever, brand new, baby chick.

LaneyAngel

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 20, 2009
Australia
12 days ago, my hen decided she didn't want to sit on her eggs anymore, and I collected them all, to find that out of 4 eggs, one was a viable egg (candling).
I incubated it, and it hatched 34 hours ago.

Now baby is in the brooder, meandering about, cheeping, eating, drinking....

But I am curious, at what age do babies lose their "sea legs".
This one still has slight troubles with walking normally... for some reason I always thought babies were able to walk around properly, running around from like, a few hours old. Perhaps thats not the case?

The only chicks I've ever hatched before I bought at the pet shop at a young age (still tiny chicks with no feathers, just fluff) but I don't know how old they were.

But now, I don't entirely know what I'm doing, apart from making sure babies cage is cleaned, it has a constant food supply of chick start, and plenty of water.
Should I be attempting to give greens at this early an age? Grass and stuffs, or no?

Just need some general help!
Thank-you!

All advice taken kindly!

go to the learning center at top of page and it will tell all you need to know about chicks and glad you have a chick. william

Last edited:
Congratulations on you new chick.
jumpy.gif
love.gif
yippiechickie.gif
Plenty of feed, water and warmth. I have used a heating pad with an old clean pillow case on it, on medium heat.

I think as long as it's only "slight trouble" walking normally, then she's probably fine. Just watch her carefully for a couple days to make sure she's eating well, and I think she'll get her land legs soon.

I had a "packing peanut" from Ideal that had major problems walking, and unfortunately the poor little guy only lived a few days even though I did my best to help him (vitamins, warmth, crushed his feed so it was easier to eat, hard boiled egg yolks, etc). I knew he had major problems from the time I took him out of the shipping box, so it wasn't that big of a shock to me.

I was going to ask this very same question. Mine hatched around 30 hours ago, and are also in the brooder chirpng, eating, drinking, pooping, and pecking each others toes LOL. But they are still a little wobbly, and being these are the first I hatched, I wondered the same thing. Hopefully someone with experience will be able to answer.

oh, and WELCOME!!!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
LaneyAngel, are your chicks doing better? Mine are barely wobbling at all. They figured out how to run, and are spending more time on their feet.

Back
Top Bottom