My first ever chicks arrived this morning!!! Pics added pg. 2

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by teach1rusl, Sep 16, 2009.

1. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I am now officially a chicken mama!! My 5 babies from MPC arrived this morning. I was so worried because they'd been in the mail since Monday. I'll take some good pics once they've settled in better. I felt so bad for them when I opened their shipping box. They were all huddled together in a clump, which I would assume means they were cold??? I got them into the pen/brooder, put them where the lamp is strongest. Two right away (the little dark ones, an australorp and plymouth rock I believe) began ambling around, and drank and fell to eating pretty quickly. The other three were more slow. I was a little worried about the little yellow girl (buff orp) because she was the least active, and only made half-hearted attempts to eat. But she has become pretty active more recently. All have pooped!!! THAT made me feel better. One has a chipmunkish stripe down its back and the other is reddish. I ordered a gold laced wyandotte and an EE, so I'm assuming that's what they are...but I'll be happy with whatever if it works out in a different way... just want them all healthy/happy.

This is how they looked all clumped together when I opened their box...poor things.
    [​IMG]

Two of my babies at the waterer...
    [​IMG]

More pictures to come after they've acclimated a bit to their new surroundings...

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  2. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    Congrats !! They are adorable !!

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    How wonderful.

Good luck!

4. my1stchicks

my1stchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    North FL
    Yea fuzzy butts!!! So Cute! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    [​IMG] They are to cute!!! Enjoy they grow SO FAST. [​IMG]
    You can put a little sugar in there water for today and that will help perk those tired chicks right up.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  6. Catstar68

Catstar68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Franklinton, NC
    Congats on becoming a new mommy! A few of mine stayed sleepy for a day but perked up after they started the sugar water.
    They are so cute!

7. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    Really cute chicks. They are so fun. [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. RAWR

RAWR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    who wants to know?
    awwww!!!!! how adorable!!!!!!
    i miss having little babies like that [​IMG]
    and GOOD LUCK with ur chicks [​IMG]

9. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:Yeah, just as you and Catstar advised, I'd put just a little in this morning...will refill w/straight water in the morning. They are ALL good to go now. It's fascinating to watch them...they're like popcorn popping. One minute they're nodded over in a slump, the next minute POP! they're all up and about...some run, one jumps as if it's trying to fly...and they're all POOPING fantastically, a big relief for me. Then nodding off again... So sweet...[​IMG]

10. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    Ok I need to know how much sugar? I am getting chicks next week.. Thanks Cindy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by